LinkedIn - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about LinkedIn
LinkedIn is a social networking site for business professionals. With over 467 million members worldwide, it is one of the most popular social networks in terms of active users. Available in over 24 languages in more than 200 countries, the website focuses on business connections and industry contacts for employers and working professionals, allowing companies to present themselves through online pages and for users to find job listings and to enhance their connectedness in their area of expertise. LinkedIn filed for an initial public offering in January 2011 and made its debut on the stock market four months later on May 19. In December 2016, LinkedIn was acquired by Microsoft for approximately 26.2 billion U.S. dollars, making it Microsoft's most expensive acquisition to date. LinkedIn results were folded into Microsoft's Product Revenue and Service and Other Revenue segment.
LinkedIn generates revenue from three different sources: hiring solutions are the largest contributor to the company’s revenue, followed by advertising and premium subscriptions. LinkedIn’s annual revenue in 2015 amounted to over 2.99 billion U.S. dollars with the majority of revenues being generated through field sales.
Members can utilize the network to research people and companies, to connect with past business associates and colleagues as well as to build new relationships with influencers. In contrast to many other social networks, LinkedIn enables users to see who recently viewed their profile – a feature that most internet users find very helpful in fostering networking contacts.
LinkedIn is a popular tool for online recruiting with a near-universal usage amongst social recruiting channels. According to industry statistics, LinkedIn has the highest utilization rate in successfully placing a candidate.
|E-recruiting and marketing||Values||Statistic|
|LinkedIn usage among U.S. B2C marketers as of August 2016||66%||Details →|
|LinkedIn usage among U.S. B2B marketers in 2016||89%||Details →|
|LinkedIn usage among U.S. HR professionals as of July 2016||87%||Details →|
|Social media content causing negative reactions among U.S. recruiters as of July 2016||Spelling/grammar mistakes||Details →|
- Share of U.S. internet users who use LinkedIn 2016, by age group+Share of U.S. internet users who use LinkedIn 2016, by age group
Percentage of U.S. internet users who use LinkedIn in April 2016, by age group
- Weekly LinkedIn usage of registered users 2016Weekly LinkedIn usage of registered users 2016
Weekly LinkedIn usage of registered users as of March 2016 (in hours)
- LinkedIn's users by country 2016+LinkedIn's users by country 2016
LinkedIn: registered members worldwide as of 1st quarter 2016, by country (in millions)
- LinkedIn: quarterly net revenue 2009-2016+LinkedIn: quarterly net revenue 2009-2016
LinkedIn's net revenue from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- LinkedIn news consumers in in the U.S. in 2016, by age+LinkedIn news consumers in in the U.S. in 2016, by age
Distribution of LinkedIn news consumers in the United States as of February 2016, by age
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016