Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Average number of Facebook friends of U.S. users in 2014, by age group
|Number of Facebook friends|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the average number of Facebook friends of US Facebook users in 2014, by age group. The most-connected age group were Facebook users between 18 and 24 years, averaging 649 friends on the social media website.
Facebook usage Social networks have long been stereotype as the domain of the younger generations, but their numbers on some social networks, such as Facebook, are starting to wane. This is due in part to an increase in use by older age groups as they discover the ease with which they can keep in touch or reconnect with friends and family, which has caused other social media to rise in popularity among younger users. Despite a decrease in use by the under-24s, Facebook remains the most popular social media website among teens and overall. By some measures, though, teen and young adults use of micro-blogging website Tumblr, now an entity of Yahoo! Inc., outpaces Facebook use by around five percent.
Social network penetration among internet users has steadily grown worldwide, with over 70 percent of the global online population predicted to be connected to social media by the end of 2014. Due to a ban in China, however, Facebook’s penetration in the Asia Pacific region appears low, also affecting the global share of internet users on Facebook. Regardless, Facebook still has almost double the amount of active users worldwide than the second-most popular network, QZone, a Chinese-based social network owned and operated by Tencent.
- Facebook share of U.S. social networking minutes 2014Facebook share of U.S. social networking minutes 2014
- Share of U.S. adult internet users who use social networking sites 2005-2013Share of U.S. adult internet users who use social networking sites 2005-2013
- Main social networking site preference in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by ageMain social networking site preference in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by age
- Reach of selected social networking websites in the Great Britain 2013-2014Reach of selected social networking websites in the Great Britain 2013-2014
- Time spent on selected social networks in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2014Time spent on selected social networks in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2014
- Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013
- Social media marketing penetration in the U.S. 2013-2016Social media marketing penetration in the U.S. 2013-2016
- Cumulative total of Tumblr posts 2011-2014Cumulative total of Tumblr posts 2011-2014
- Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018
- Digital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2014, by categoryDigital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2014, by category
- Mobile app users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by ageMobile app users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by age