Average price of a hotel room worldwide in 2010 and 2011 by region (in U.S. dollars)
|Region||Asia||Caribbean||Europe||Latin America||North America||Rest of the world|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The graph depicts the average price of a hotel room in 2010 and 2011* around the world. In Europe, the average cost for a hotel room was 167.76 U.S. dollars.
The Hotel Price Index (HPI) is based on bookings made on hotels.com. The prices shown are those actually paid by the customer. The sample set are about 110,000 properties in more than 18,000 global locations.
Average hotel room prices - additional information
In both 2010 and 2011, the Caribbean was the most expensive region in the world to for hotel stays, with an average hotel room price of 207.11 U.S. dollars in 2011. The Caribbean, located to the south east of North America and the Gulf of Mexico, includes many popular vacation destinations such as the Bahamas, Cuba, Barbados and the Dominican Republic. The region is well-known for its natural beauty and luxury resorts. In 2013, Soufriere, St. Lucia, was one of the most expensive destinations for U.S. travelers in terms of hotel costs, second only to Bora Bora in French Polynesia, where the average daily rate for a hotel was 770 U.S. dollars. Despite the cost, Caribbean cruises were the most popular vacations in the U.S. according to travel company Travel Leaders Group.
A close neighbour of the Caribbean, North America saw the lowest average hotel price in 2010 and 2011. While low in comparison to other regions, the average daily rate of hotels in the U.S. has risen year-on-year since the global recession of 2009 and, in 2013, the U.S. hotel industry generated 163 billion U.S. dollars in revenue. The United States also has some expensive destinations of its own: the most expensive U.S. city for hotel rates in 2013 was Honolulu, Hawaii, with an average daily rate of 230 U.S. dollars. New York ranked second at 211 U.S. dollars a night.
As well as being the region with the second highest average hotel price, hotels in Europe also charge the most for room service. Six out of ten of the most expensive cities in the world for hotel room service were located in Europe in 2014. Helsinki in Finland was the most expensive at just under 90 U.S. dollars.
- Average hotel room rates in top travel destinations worldwideAverage hotel room rates in top travel destinations worldwide
- Average hotel rate by star rating in Latin America 2010Average hotel rate by star rating in Latin America 2010
- Percentage of business customers requiring in-person meetings for business relation in the U.S. 2009Percentage of business customers requiring in-person meetings for business relation in the U.S. 2009
- Change in average daily hotel room rates Taiwan January-September 2013Change in average daily hotel room rates Taiwan January-September 2013
- Domestic and international travel expenditures in the U.S. from 2000 to 2013Domestic and international travel expenditures in the U.S. from 2000 to 2013
- Difficulties in planning celebration vacations among U.S. baby boomers in 2014Difficulties in planning celebration vacations among U.S. baby boomers in 2014
- Annual growth in U.S. business travel spending from 2010 to 2015Annual growth in U.S. business travel spending from 2010 to 2015
- International overnight visitor spending in Dubai from 2010 to 2014International overnight visitor spending in Dubai from 2010 to 2014
- City trips in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2014City trips in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2014
- InterContinental Hotels Group - Statista Dossier 2014InterContinental Hotels Group - Statista Dossier 2014
- Hilton Worldwide - Statista Dossier 2014Hilton Worldwide - Statista Dossier 2014
- Marriott International - Statista Dossier 2014Marriott International - Statista Dossier 2014
- Business travel - Statista Dossier 2013Business travel - Statista Dossier 2013
- Hotels - Statista Dossier 2014Hotels - Statista Dossier 2014
- Visits to the United Kingdom (UK) from Europe in 2012, by airportVisits to the United Kingdom (UK) from Europe in 2012, by airport
- Number of hotels in the largest hotel groupsNumber of hotels in the largest hotel groups
- Hotels in the Middle East and Africa - occupancy, ADR and RevPARHotels in the Middle East and Africa - occupancy, ADR and RevPAR