Number of APM-Maersk ships as of August 26, 2014
|Number of ships|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic represents the number of APM-Maersk ships as of August 26, 2014. Europe's largest ship operator had 11 ships in its order book in August 2014.
Number of Maersk ships
In terms of twenty-foot-equivalent units, Denmark’s Maersk Lines is the world’s largest container-shipping company. Twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) are the shipping industry’s standard unit of measure, denoting the capacity of a standard freight container. In August 2014, the Maersk Group had ships with a capacity of around 2.8 million twenty-foot-equivalent units, which could be broken down to some 1.6 million twenty-foot-equivalent units of owned capacity and about 1.2 million twenty-foot equivalent units of chartered capacity. Furthermore, the container line had ships with an additional 182,498 twenty-foot-equivalent units of capacity in its order book. Overall, the Copenhagen-headquartered shipper accounted for approximately 15 percent of the world’s merchant container fleet.
As of August 26, 2014, Maersk owned 252 ships, ten of which had a capacity in excess of 18,000 twenty-foot equivalent units. Maersk’s most impressive container ship is the Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller. The Triple-E vessel was built by South Korea’s Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Company, one of the largest shipbuilding companies worldwide. The megahauler is just under 400 meters long, 59 meters wide and 73 meters high. Triple-E stands for "economies of scale", "energy efficient" and "environmentally improved". The ships in the triple-E class are regarded as the most efficient container ships per twenty-foot equivalent of cargo. However, the building of such mega ships comes at a risk as the container shipping-industry continues to suffer from overcapacity and weak global demand.
- Leading container ship operators based on TEU capacity of own shipsLeading container ship operators based on TEU capacity of own ships
- Container shipping companies worldwide - number of ships, August 2014Container shipping companies worldwide - number of ships, August 2014
- Owned and chartered ships of leading container ship operators 2014Owned and chartered ships of leading container ship operators 2014
- Leading container ship operators - total number of ships 2014Leading container ship operators - total number of ships 2014
- Leading container ship operators - number of chartered ships in 2014Leading container ship operators - number of chartered ships in 2014
- New cruise ships planned worldwide from 2014 to 2016, by passenger capacityNew cruise ships planned worldwide from 2014 to 2016, by passenger capacity
- Passenger capacity of the cruise industry worldwide in 2014, by cruise linePassenger capacity of the cruise industry worldwide in 2014, by cruise line
- MSC - number of ships 2014MSC - number of ships 2014
- U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012
- Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013
- U.S. logistics companies - based on net revenue 2013U.S. logistics companies - based on net revenue 2013