Average daily consumer spending in the U.S. from July 2013 to July 2014 (in U.S. dollars)
|Spending in U.S. dollars|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the U.S. self-reported consumer spending on a monthly basis for the ongoing year. The survey is conducted through daily telephone interviews among approximately 30,000 adults per month in the U.S. The graph shows the 30-day average for each month to depict an annual trend. In July 2014, the average daily spending of Americans amounted to 94 U.S. dollars, up by 5 compared do July 2013.
U.S. consumer spending
The presented data on consumer spending is based on self-reported spending of the interview partners on the day before the survey was conducted, excluding the purchase of a home, motor vehicles or normal household bills.
Consumer spending is considered a major short-term economic indicator and is often connected to developments in the Consumer Price Index and inflation. The trend in daily consumer spending shows an increase in spending of roughly 28 percent between June 2012 and June 2013, and thus reflecting increased optimism about the U.S. economy.
Besides the Gallup tracking poll, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis publishes monthly data on Personal Consumption Expenditures. for all American Households, containing durable and non-durable goods and services targeted at individuals and consumed by individuals.
Additional information on consumer behavior, aside from direct spending data, is available via various consumer sentiment or confidence indices:
The University of Michigan produces the Consumer Sentiment Index, which is designed to estimate consumer attitudes toward the overall business climate, consumer spending and the state of personal finances.
The Conference Board, a non-profit business group, produces the Consumer Confidence Index, which is designed to assess the overall confidence, spending power and relative financial health of the average U.S. customer.
- Gallup's U.S. upper-income consumer spending by month 2014Gallup's U.S. upper-income consumer spending by month 2014
- Average annual consumer spending in the U.S. 2011, by regionAverage annual consumer spending in the U.S. 2011, by region
- Average annual consumer spending in the U.S. 2012, by regionAverage annual consumer spending in the U.S. 2012, by region
- Annual U.S. consumer expenditures 1990-2012Annual U.S. consumer expenditures 1990-2012
- Average annual consumer spending in the U.S. 2012, by typeAverage annual consumer spending in the U.S. 2012, by type
- Consumer Sentiment Index in the U.S. 2014Consumer Sentiment Index in the U.S. 2014
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2014U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2014
- Countries with the highest Human Development Index value 2013Countries with the highest Human Development Index value 2013
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013