Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
India: Gross domestic product (GDP) in current prices from 2004 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
|GDP in billion U.S. dollars|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows GDP in India from 2004 to 2014. In 2011, GDP in India was at around 1.8 trillion US dollars.
Economic liberalization on the Indian subcontinent
Of all the factors and empirical data that give an insight into the shape of a national economy, there aren’t as many indicators more telling than GDP. GDP is the total market value of all final goods and services that have been produced within a country in a given period of time, usually a year. Real GDP figures serve as an even more reliable tool in estimating in which direction a country’s economy may be heading, as they are adjusted for inflation and reflect real price developments.
The decision of the newly independent Indian government to adopt a mixed economy, adopting both elements of both capitalist and socialist systems, resulted in huge inefficiencies borne out of the culture of interventionism that was a direct result of the lacklustre implementation of policy and failings within the system itself. The desire to move towards a Soviet style mass planning system failed to gain much momentum in the Indian case due to a number of hindrances, an unskilled workforce being one of many.
When the government of the early 90’s saw the creation of small scale industry in large numbers due to the removal of price controls, the economy started to bounce back, but with the collapse of the Soviet Union - India’s main trading partner - the hampering effects of socialist policy on the economy were exposed and it underwent a large scale liberalization. By the turn of the 21st century, India was rapidly progressing towards a free-market economy. India’s development has continued and it now belongs to the BRIC group of fast developing economic powers.
- Growth of the global gross domestic product (GDP) 2014Growth of the global gross domestic product (GDP) 2014
- Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in India 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in India 2014
- Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in France 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in France 2014
- Global gross domestic product (GDP) 2014Global gross domestic product (GDP) 2014
- Global gross domestic product (GDP) per capita 2013Global gross domestic product (GDP) per capita 2013
- Weekly box office revenue in India - September 21-27, 2014Weekly box office revenue in India - September 21-27, 2014
- United States - monthly inflation rate August 2014United States - monthly inflation rate August 2014
- Monthly inflation rate in China as of August 2014Monthly inflation rate in China as of August 2014
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in Argentina 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in Argentina 2014
- Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014
- Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014