Average amount spent on real and fake Christmas trees in the U.S. from 2010 to 2012 (in U.S. dollars)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the average amount spent on real and fake Christmas trees in the United States from 2010 to 2012. The figures from the National Christmas Tree Association show that U.S. consumers spent an average of 34.87 U.S. dollars on real Christmas trees, while spending an average of 70.55 U.S. dollars on fake Christmas trees in 2011.
Christmas and Christmas trees in the United States
Usually a decorated evergreen conifer such as spruce, pine or fir, the Christmas tree is traditionally associated with the widely celebrated holiday of Christmas. The tree was traditionally decorated with edibles such as apples, nuts or dates and was illuminated by candles. Today, a wide variety of traditional ornaments such as garland, tinsel, candy canes and Christmas lights are used. The custom originated in early modern Germany around the sixteenth century and was introduced in North America in the eighteenth century by Brunswick soldiers. The most commonly used species are fir trees, which do not shed their needles when they dry out and also retain good foliage color and scent.
According to the National Christmas Tree Association, there are close to 350 million Christmas trees currently growing on Christmas tree farms in the United States alone and about 25 to 30 million real Christmas trees sold every year. In 2011, Christmas tree sales (real and fake) in the United States amounted to over 40 million and the industry employs over 100,000 people.
The economic impact of Christmas is a factor that has grown steadily over the past few centuries in many regions of the world. Christmas is a peak selling season for retailers; sales increase dramatically as people purchase gifts, decorations and supplies to celebrate. In the United States, the Christmas shopping season usually starts as early as October.
- Average amount holiday shoppers spent on merchandise in the U.S. 2011-2012Average amount holiday shoppers spent on merchandise in the U.S. 2011-2012
- Christmas trees sold in the United States 2004-2012Christmas trees sold in the United States 2004-2012
- Average amount spent on new baby gifts for grandchildren in the U.S. 2007-2012Average amount spent on new baby gifts for grandchildren in the U.S. 2007-2012
- Average amount spent by Lowe's customers worldwide 2003-2013Average amount spent by Lowe's customers worldwide 2003-2013
- Average amount spent by consumers at the Home Depot and Lowe's 2011-2013Average amount spent by consumers at the Home Depot and Lowe's 2011-2013
- Weekly retail sales value in food stores in Great Britain 2013-2014Weekly retail sales value in food stores in Great Britain 2013-2014
- Health and beauty average spend in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2013, by age groupHealth and beauty average spend in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2013, by age group
- U.S. average price of Jägermeister and Fireball 2013U.S. average price of Jägermeister and Fireball 2013
- Supermarket brands of fizzy drinks in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013,by number of usersSupermarket brands of fizzy drinks in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013,by number of users
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2012Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2012
- Sales of the leading 10 baby food and snack brands of the U.S. in 2011Sales of the leading 10 baby food and snack brands of the U.S. in 2011