Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Average amount spent on real and fake Christmas trees in the U.S. from 2010 to 2012 (in U.S. dollars)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the average amount spent on real and fake Christmas trees in the United States from 2010 to 2012. The figures from the National Christmas Tree Association show that U.S. consumers spent an average of 34.87 U.S. dollars on real Christmas trees, while spending an average of 70.55 U.S. dollars on fake Christmas trees in 2011.
Christmas and Christmas trees in the United States
Usually a decorated evergreen conifer such as spruce, pine or fir, the Christmas tree is traditionally associated with the widely celebrated holiday of Christmas. The tree was traditionally decorated with edibles such as apples, nuts or dates and was illuminated by candles. Today, a wide variety of traditional ornaments such as garland, tinsel, candy canes and Christmas lights are used. The custom originated in early modern Germany around the sixteenth century and was introduced in North America in the eighteenth century by Brunswick soldiers. The most commonly used species are fir trees, which do not shed their needles when they dry out and also retain good foliage color and scent.
According to the National Christmas Tree Association, there are close to 350 million Christmas trees currently growing on Christmas tree farms in the United States alone and about 25 to 30 million real Christmas trees sold every year. In 2011, Christmas tree sales (real and fake) in the United States amounted to over 40 million and the industry employs over 100,000 people.
The economic impact of Christmas is a factor that has grown steadily over the past few centuries in many regions of the world. Christmas is a peak selling season for retailers; sales increase dramatically as people purchase gifts, decorations and supplies to celebrate. In the United States, the Christmas shopping season usually starts as early as October.
- Average amount holiday shoppers spent on merchandise in the U.S. 2011-2012Average amount holiday shoppers spent on merchandise in the U.S. 2011-2012
- Christmas trees sold in the United States 2004-2012Christmas trees sold in the United States 2004-2012
- Average amount spent on new baby gifts for grandchildren in the U.S. 2007-2012Average amount spent on new baby gifts for grandchildren in the U.S. 2007-2012
- Average amount spent by Lowe's customers worldwide 2003-2013Average amount spent by Lowe's customers worldwide 2003-2013
- Average amount spent by consumers at the Home Depot and Lowe's 2011-2013Average amount spent by consumers at the Home Depot and Lowe's 2011-2013
- Food prices: Trend in retail food prices in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2014Food prices: Trend in retail food prices in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2014
- Household food and drink purchases in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012, by food groupHousehold food and drink purchases in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012, by food group
- Average wine consumption per U.S. resident 2005-2013Average wine consumption per U.S. resident 2005-2013
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013
- Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013
- Ranking of oil exporters worldwide 2013Ranking of oil exporters worldwide 2013