U.S. Christmas Season - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Christmas Season in the U.S.
Christmas is celebrated in the United States on the 25th of December. Christmas is a civil holiday and is celebrated by an increasing number of non-Christians, and is an integral part of the holiday season. Christmas is typically the largest economic stimulus for many nations around the world as sales increase dramatically in almost all retail areas. The United States' retail industry generated over three trillion U.S. dollars during the holidays in 2013. These holiday sales reflected about 19.2 percent of the retail industries total sales that year. As a result, just over 768 thousand employees were hired throughout the United States to compensate for the holiday rush. The Christmas shopping season can start as early as September and some consumers begin even earlier.
The Christmas tree is considered to be the main symbol of this pagan tradition, and is an integral part of the holiday shopping season. About 33 million real Christmas trees were purchased in the United States and cost, on average, about 35.30 U.S. dollars in 2012.
The economic impact of Christmas is a factor that has grown steadily throughout the United States and the world and will continue to be a significant event and key sales period for retailers and businesses.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hanibaram
|Overview of the U.S. Christmas Season||Values||Statistic|
|Retail industry sales in the U.S.||$3.19tn||Details →|
|Holiday employment in the U.S.||800k||Details →|
|Holiday retail sales in the U.S.||$630.5bn||Details →|
|Christmas holiday retail growth||3.7%||Details →|
|U.S. retail e-commerce holiday season sales||$79.01bn||Details →|
|Percentage of retailers beginning holiday promotions on October 1st||15.4%||Details →|
|Christmas shopping in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Average Christmas expenditure on gifts||$830bn||Details →|
|Average amount spent on Christmas cards||$29.14||Details →|
|Amount of Cyber Monday shoppers in the U.S.||127m||Details →|
|Average number of holiday gifts expected by U.S. consumers||12.9||Details →|
|Percentage of U.S. consumers buying gifts online||47%||Details →|
|Christmas tree retail value in the U.S.||$1.04bn||Details →|
- Average amount spent on Christmas trees in the U.S. 2010-2014Average amount spent on Christmas trees in the U.S. 2010-2014
Average amount spent on real and fake Christmas trees in the U.S. from 2010 to 2014 (in U.S. dollars)
- Christmas trees sold in the United States 2004-2014Christmas trees sold in the United States 2004-2014
Christmas trees sold in the United States from 2004 to 2014 (in millions)
- Annual retail industry sales in the United States 2000-2014+Annual retail industry sales in the United States 2000-2014
Annual retail industry sales in the United States from 2000 to 2014 (in trillion U.S. dollars)
- Holiday sales as a percentage of industry sales in the U.S. 2000-2014+Holiday sales as a percentage of industry sales in the U.S. 2000-2014
Holiday sales as a percentage of industry sales in the United States from 2000 to 2014
- Holiday employment in the United States 2000-2015+Holiday employment in the United States 2000-2015
Holiday employment in the United States from 2000 to 2015 (in thousands)
- Period when U.S. consumers began shopping for the holiday season 2015+Period when U.S. consumers began shopping for the holiday season 2015
When do you begin shopping for the holiday season?
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Sales growth of the leading sock vendors in the U.S. 2015Sales growth of the leading sock vendors in the U.S. 2015
- Inflation rate in Spain 2014-2015, by monthInflation rate in Spain 2014-2015, by month
- Year-to-year percentage of change in holiday retail sales in the U.S. 2000-2015Year-to-year percentage of change in holiday retail sales in the U.S. 2000-2015
- Total U.S. Christmas Price Index 1992-2011Total U.S. Christmas Price Index 1992-2011
- NBA Finals TV viewership in the U.S. 2000-2016NBA Finals TV viewership in the U.S. 2000-2016