Nintendo Reports Disastrous Wii U Sales
Nintendo just published its results for the second quarter of 2013 and it doesn't look good for the Japanese video game powerhouse. After an already disappointing start, worldwide sales of Nintendo's new game console, the Wii U, fell to 160,000 units in the past quarter. To put things in perspective: Microsoft sold one million units of its 7-year-old Xbox 360 during the same period and even the Wii U's predecessor, the Nintendo Wii, outsold its younger brother.
The lack of software support, mediocre reviews and the recent announcement of next-generation consoles by Microsoft and Sony have probably equally contributed to the lackluster performance of the Wii U. However, the fact that Nintendo's next-generation hardware can't even compete with the current generation of consoles doesn't bode well for Nintendo's future. The competition will only heat up in the fall and Nintendo will need pretty strong arguments to compete with Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 in this year's holiday season.
- Video Game IndustrySony Trumps Nintendo in Shrinking Console Market
This chart shows video game console sales of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.
- Video GamesWii U on Track to Become Nintendo's Worst Selling Console
This chart shows Nintendo's home video game console sales since 1998.
- Video GamesThe Rapid Decline of Nintendo's Hardware Business
This chart illustrates the rapid decline of Nintendo's hardware business.
- PriceA PS4 Costs 4x as Much in Brazil as in the U.S.
This chart shows the suggested retail price for a PlayStation 4 in selected countries in 2014.
- Video GamesThe Vita Launch
This infographic includes first-week sales data of the Playstation Vita and of other portable game consoles such as the Nintendo 3DS.
- Hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry from May 2012 to May 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Monthly hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2012-2014
- Retail revenue of the U.S. video game industry from May 2012 to May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2012-2014
- Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry from May 2012 to May 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2012-2014
- Global unit sales of video game consoles from 2008 to 2013Global unit sales of video game consoles from 2008 to 2013
- Video game market value worldwide 2013-2017, by segmentVideo game market value worldwide 2013-2017, by segment
- Revenue of the largest video game publishers worldwide in 2013Revenue of the largest video game publishers worldwide in 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter