Nintendo Reports Disastrous Wii U Sales
Nintendo just published its results for the second quarter of 2013 and it doesn't look good for the Japanese video game powerhouse. After an already disappointing start, worldwide sales of Nintendo's new game console, the Wii U, fell to 160,000 units in the past quarter. To put things in perspective: Microsoft sold one million units of its 7-year-old Xbox 360 during the same period and even the Wii U's predecessor, the Nintendo Wii, outsold its younger brother.
The lack of software support, mediocre reviews and the recent announcement of next-generation consoles by Microsoft and Sony have probably equally contributed to the lackluster performance of the Wii U. However, the fact that Nintendo's next-generation hardware can't even compete with the current generation of consoles doesn't bode well for Nintendo's future. The competition will only heat up in the fall and Nintendo will need pretty strong arguments to compete with Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 in this year's holiday season.
- Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry from February 2013 to February 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2013-2015
- Retail revenue of the U.S. video game industry from February 2013 to February 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2013-2015
- Hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry from February 2013 to February 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
Monthly hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2013-2015
- Global unit sales of video game consoles from 2008 to 2014Global unit sales of video game consoles from 2008 to 2014
- Revenue of the largest video game publishers worldwide in 2013Revenue of the largest video game publishers worldwide in 2013
- Video game market value worldwide 2013-2017, by segmentVideo game market value worldwide 2013-2017, by segment
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens