Nintendo Reports Disastrous Wii U Sales
Nintendo just published its results for the second quarter of 2013 and it doesn't look good for the Japanese video game powerhouse. After an already disappointing start, worldwide sales of Nintendo's new game console, the Wii U, fell to 160,000 units in the past quarter. To put things in perspective: Microsoft sold one million units of its 7-year-old Xbox 360 during the same period and even the Wii U's predecessor, the Nintendo Wii, outsold its younger brother.
The lack of software support, mediocre reviews and the recent announcement of next-generation consoles by Microsoft and Sony have probably equally contributed to the lackluster performance of the Wii U. However, the fact that Nintendo's next-generation hardware can't even compete with the current generation of consoles doesn't bode well for Nintendo's future. The competition will only heat up in the fall and Nintendo will need pretty strong arguments to compete with Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 in this year's holiday season.
- Video game console hardware revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015Video game console hardware revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015
- Video game console hardware unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2014Video game console hardware unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2014
- Availability of a video game console at home in Finland 2016, by age groupAvailability of a video game console at home in Finland 2016, by age group
- Entertainment retail sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2016Entertainment retail sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2016
- U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2017U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2017
- Weekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by ageWeekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by age
- U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017
- Leading gaming markets worldwide 2016, by revenueLeading gaming markets worldwide 2016, by revenue
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl