Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
The 50 best ranked countries in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index in 2013
|Hong Kong SAR||5.11|
|United Arab Emirates||4.86|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The graph shows the 50 top-ranked countries in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index in 2013. Austria is ranked third with a score of 5.39.
Travel and tourism - additional information
In 2013, the best ranked country in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index was Switzerland with a score of 5.66 out of seven. The index was part of "The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report 2013: Reducing Barriers to Economic Growth and Job Creation." The report assessed worldwide economies on their travel and tourism development efforts and the impact of this on job creation. It also investigated the factors that hinder travel and tourism’s development, such as inefficient visa policies.
Travel and tourism’s total contribution to global GDP reached 6.99 trillion U.S. dollars in 2013 - almost 3.5 trillion of this figure came from leisure spending. In that year, there were 973.8 million international tourist arrivals worldwide, over half of these visiting Europe. This number had increased by around 250 million since 2005 and was forecasted to almost double to 1.81 billion by 2030.
The United States ranked sixth out of 50 on the 2013 Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index with a score of 5.32 out of seven. Travel and tourism’s total contribution to GDP in the U.S. was 1.42 trillion U.S. dollars and, of its direct contribution, just under 80 percent came from domestic tourists. In the same year, the industry directly created 5.43 million jobs in the U.S.
- Tourism: hotel industry worldwide RevPARTourism: hotel industry worldwide RevPAR
- Tourism: room prices in non-euro citiesTourism: room prices in non-euro cities
- Average hotel room rates in top travel destinations worldwideAverage hotel room rates in top travel destinations worldwide
- Tourism: utilization of the hotel industry in non-euro citiesTourism: utilization of the hotel industry in non-euro cities
- Average room rate in the hotel industry worldwideAverage room rate in the hotel industry worldwide
- Number of ships in the North American cruise industry from 2007 to 2013Number of ships in the North American cruise industry from 2007 to 2013
- Direct expenditures of the North American cruise industry from 1997 to 2013Direct expenditures of the North American cruise industry from 1997 to 2013
- Distribution of global cruise embarkations in 2013, by port/regionDistribution of global cruise embarkations in 2013, by port/region
- Overnight travel to the U.S. from other countries in 2000Overnight travel to the U.S. from other countries in 2000
- Number of overnight travelers from other countries to the U.S. 2000Number of overnight travelers from other countries to the U.S. 2000
- Percentage of overnight travel and destination of U.S. residents 2000Percentage of overnight travel and destination of U.S. residents 2000