Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Organic food sales in the United States from 2000 to 2012 (in million U.S. dollars)*
|Sales in million U.S. dollars|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic depicts organic food sales in the United States from 2000 to 2012. In 2010, organic food sales in the United States amounted to about 26.71 billion USD.
Organic foods are foods that are manufactured using organic farming standards. Those agricultural standards are regulated by the department of government responsible for them and contain regulations for the cultivation of food and animal welfare. In particular, the use of chemical fertilizers, synthetic pesticides, growth hormones and antibiotics is not allowed or only partly permitted. In addition, fewer food additives are permitted for the processing of organic foods. In the United States, organic foods are certified by the National Organic Program. Products which have fulfilled the criteria are labeled with the term ‘organic’ on the food packaging.
Organic food sales have experienced tremendous growth in the last decade. For this reason, not only specialized retailers sell organic foods but also traditional supermarkets and discounters. All retail formats have contributed to the success of the organic food industry in the United States. Widely known specialized organic retailers in the United States include Whole Foods Market and Sprouts Farmers Market. Whole Foods Market is the largest specialized organic retailer in the United States with headquarters in Austin, Texas. It was founded in 1980 and operates more than 300 stores in the United States.
In general, organic foods are usually offered at a higher price level than their conventional counterparts. Consumers’ main motivations behind the buying behavior towards organic foods tend to be environmental reasons, food safety aspects and the support of local farmers. Whether or not organic foods are healthier and more nutritious compared to conventionally farmed produce is a much debated subject. Up to now, no evidence of significant differences between the two farming methods where taste or health are concerned has been established.
- Organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. 2013+Organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. 2013
Organic food and non-food sales in the United States in 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Share of organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. by category 2007-2018+Share of organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. by category 2007-2018
Share of organic food and non-food sales in the United States from 2007 to 2018, by category*
- Organic food sales distribution in the U.S. by product category 2011-2014+Organic food sales distribution in the U.S. by product category 2011-2014
Share of organic food sales in the United States in 2011 and 2014, by product category
- Organic food market: leading countries based on sales per capita 2012+Organic food market: leading countries based on sales per capita 2012
The leading 10 countries with the highest organic food per capita revenue in 2012 (in U.S. dollars)
- Organic food and drink sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2012+Organic food and drink sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2012
Sales revenue of organic food and drink in the United Kingdom (UK) from 1999 to 2012 (in million GBP)
- Alcoholic drinks: Weekly expenditure per person in the United Kingdom (UK) 2006-2013Alcoholic drinks: Weekly expenditure per person in the United Kingdom (UK) 2006-2013
- United Kingdom (UK): Spend on alcoholic drinks consumed outside the home 2006-2013United Kingdom (UK): Spend on alcoholic drinks consumed outside the home 2006-2013
- Weekly UK household expenditure on beer 2006-2013Weekly UK household expenditure on beer 2006-2013
- Leading packet or bar detergent brands sales of the U.S. 2014Leading packet or bar detergent brands sales of the U.S. 2014
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013
- World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013