U.S. Organic Food Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the organic food industry in the U.S.
Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such a s pesticides and chemical fertilizers. The demand for organic foods is primarily driven by personal health and environmental reasons and the United States has seen organic food sales growth since 2000. In 2012, organic food sales in the United States generated approximately 31.32 billion U.S. dollars and is predicted to generate about 42 billion U.S. dollars in 2014.
Natural and organic food is the fastest-growing sector of the American food marketplace, and made up 5.8 percent of total food sales in 2010. As of spring 2012, about 40.39 million people purchased organic food in the United States. One of the main reasons why U.S. consumers eat organic foods is because they are concerned about exposure to toxins in non-organic foods, which correlates to the fact that the consumers believe these products to be more nutritious than other food.
Photo: sxc.hu / nkzs
|Organic Food Sales||Values||Statistic|
|Organic food revenue in the U.S.||€27.06bn||Details →|
|Growth of organic food sales in the U.S.||11%||Details →|
|Fruit and vegetable share of organic food sales||43.3%||Details →|
|Organic Food Retail||Values||Statistic|
|North American retail sales share of organic food||47%||Details →|
|U.S. retail sales share of organic food||43%||Details →|
|Retail sales of natural and organic food in the U.S.||$48.6bn||Details →|
|Consumer Behavior||$43.13||Details →|
|People who would prefer organic food, if given a choice||57.6%||Details →|
- Organic food sales in the U.S. from 2000-2014Organic food sales in the U.S. from 2000-2014
Organic food sales in the United States from 2000 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)*
- Organic food sales growth in the U.S. 2000-2014+Organic food sales growth in the U.S. 2000-2014
Organic food sales growth in the United States from 2000 to 2014
- People who buy organic food, USA 2015+People who buy organic food, USA 2015
Purchase of organic food: Number of people who buy organic food in the United States (USA) from autumn 2010 to spring 2015 (in millions)
- Natural and organic food sales as percentage of total food sales in the U.S. 2010+Natural and organic food sales as percentage of total food sales in the U.S. 2010
Natural & organic food retail sales as percentage of total food sales in the U.S. from 2000 to 2010*
- Reasons for organic food consumption in the United States 2011, by age+Reasons for organic food consumption in the United States 2011, by age
Why do you eat organic foods?
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area April 2016China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area April 2016
- Monthly inflation rate in China April 2016Monthly inflation rate in China April 2016
- Projected Consumer Price Index in the United States 2010-2021Projected Consumer Price Index in the United States 2010-2021
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2015/16U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2015/16
- Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide 2003-2015Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide 2003-2015