Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Average health insurance copay in 2010 and 2011, by payment type (in U.S. dollars)
|Medicare Part D||25.97||23.31|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the average co-pay amount in the U.S. in 2010 and 2011. For commercial third-party health insurance, the average co-payments in 2011 were 26.1 U.S. dollars.
Health insurance co-payments
As of 2012, 84.6 percent of the U.S. population had health insurance, compared to 86.1 percent in 1990. A co-payment or co-pay is a flat fee one pays when they receive medication or medical treatment. Health insurance plans establish set co-payment fees which are often printed on health insurance cards. It is usually a small portion of the actual cost to receive medical care. Co-payment is used to prevent unnecessary visits to physicians for every minute trivial condition. However, this may also prevent some from seeking medical treatment when it is essential.
In 2011, the average co-pay in the United States totaled 23.31 U.S. dollars for those under Medicare Part D, 4.07 with Medicaid, and 26.1 with commercial third-parties. For individuals under commercial third party insurance, out-of-pocket costs were the highest at 38.4 billion U.S. dollars throughout the country; co-pay fees under a third party insurance have also increased by 1.145 U.S. dollars between 2010 and 2011. Those insured by Medicare Part D paid a total of 9.7 billion U.S. dollars in 2011. Under Medicare Part D or the Medicare prescription drug benefit, the federal government helps to subsidize the costs of prescription drugs for those who receive Medicare. There is a lack of standardization in this plan, and co-payment differs between different plans. In 2010, public insurances have had a mean annual expense of 4,431 U.S. dollars per person for health care and prescribed medicines.
- Health care and medicine expense by insurance status in the U.S. 1987-2010Health care and medicine expense by insurance status in the U.S. 1987-2010
- U.S. insured patients' out-of-pocket health spending 2008-2011U.S. insured patients' out-of-pocket health spending 2008-2011
- Change in U.S. health insurance average copay 2010-2011Change in U.S. health insurance average copay 2010-2011
- Percentage of U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012
- Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012
- Countries with the lowest life expectancy 2013Countries with the lowest life expectancy 2013
- Countries with the highest life expectancy 2013Countries with the highest life expectancy 2013
- U.S. market share of health and medical information websites in August 2014U.S. market share of health and medical information websites in August 2014
- Deaths by cause in the U.S. 2000-2010Deaths by cause in the U.S. 2000-2010
- Percentage of U.S. cigarette smokers 2000-2012Percentage of U.S. cigarette smokers 2000-2012
- Total and per capita personal health care expenditure 2011Total and per capita personal health care expenditure 2011