U.S. Casinos - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about U.S. Casinos
Casinos are facilities that house certain types of gambling such as table games (e.g. blackjack, craps, roulette and baccarat), electronic gaming machines and random number ticket games.
The global casino revenue is estimated to be at around 147 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, of which around 60 billion U.S. dollars is generated in the United States. Consumer spending on casino gaming in the United States was at more than 37 billion U.S. dollars according to the American Gaming Association.
The U.S. market encompasses almost 450 commercial casinos in 20 states, in which these activities are legal. Besides those commercial casinos there are also more than 460 tribal casinos in the United States. These Native American gambling operations are situated on tribal land such as Indian reservations. More than one fourth of the U.S. adult population has gambled at a casino in the past twelve months favoring slot machines (53%) while playing on a budget of less than 100 U.S. dollars (48%).
The biggest market in the U.S. is the state of Nevada, especially Las Vegas, with almost 11 billion U.S dollars in total consumer spending on casino gaming in 2012. The casino industry in Nevada employs more than 170 thousand people, who earn $41,450 on average.
The casino gambling market in Macau is one of the biggest and fastest growing in the world. The gross revenue from gambling and gaming in Macau was at more than 38 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, up from 10.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2007. A couple of the world's leading casino companies, SJM Holdings and Galaxy Entertainment Group, generate a majority of their revenue there.
Other companies, that are major players in the industry, include Las Vegas Sands, MGM Resorts, Caesar's Entertainment, the Genting Group, Wynn Resorts, Melco Crown Entertainment, Penn National Gaming, Boyd Gaming, Crown Limited and Pinnacle Entertainment.
Picture: freeimages.com / vierdrie
|Global Casino Market||Values||Statistic|
|Global casino gaming revenue||$159.71bn||Details →|
|Global revenue of Las Vegas Sands||$13.77bn||Details →|
|Number of casinos in North America||1,623||Details →|
|Number of gaming tables in casinos in Macau||5,711||Details →|
|Gross revenue from gaming and gambling in Macau||$44.16bn||Details →|
|U.S. Casino Market||Values||Statistic|
|U.S. casino gaming market revenue||$65,497m||Details →|
|Number of casinos in the U.S.||1,511||Details →|
|Gross gaming revenue of Las Vegas Strip, Nev.||$6,207m||Details →|
|Total number of casino employees in Nevada||169,908||Details →|
|Poker room revenue of Nevada casinos||$123.89m||Details →|
|National tax revenue from Pennsylvania commercial casinos||$1,487m||Details →|
|Average annual salary of casino employees in Nevada||$42,541||Details →|
|Revenue per employee of casinos in Nevada||$135.81 thousand||Details →|
- Leading casino companies worldwide 2013, by revenueLeading casino companies worldwide 2013, by revenue
Casino companies ranked by revenue worldwide in 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Revenue of the global casino gaming market 2015Revenue of the global casino gaming market 2015
Global casino gaming revenue from 2006 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Casino gaming: revenue in the U.S. 2015Casino gaming: revenue in the U.S. 2015
U.S. casino gaming market revenue from 2006 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Global gambling market gross win 2003-2015Global gambling market gross win 2003-2015
- Global gambling market breakdown 2012, by product categoryGlobal gambling market breakdown 2012, by product category
- Volume distribution of the interactive gambling market worldwide 2011, by regionVolume distribution of the interactive gambling market worldwide 2011, by region
- Forecast: spectator sports revenue U.S. 2009-2018Forecast: spectator sports revenue U.S. 2009-2018
- Forecast: sports teams and clubs revenue U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: sports teams and clubs revenue U.S. 2008-2018
- Forecast: musical instrument manufacturing shipment value U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: musical instrument manufacturing shipment value U.S. 2008-2018
- Forecast: performing arts revenue U.S. 2009-2018Forecast: performing arts revenue U.S. 2009-2018
- Forecast: construction expenditure by the amusement industry U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: construction expenditure by the amusement industry U.S. 2008-2018