Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Leading social networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic provides information on the most popular networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active accounts. Market leader Facebook was the first social network to surpass 1 billion registered accounts. Fifth-ranked microblogging network Twitter had over 255 million monthly active accounts. Meanwhile, blogging service Tumblr had more than 230 million active blog users on their site.
The leading social networks are usually available in multiple languages and enable users to connect with friends or people across geographical, political or economic borders. In 2012, more than 1.4 billion internet users accessed social networks and these figures are still expected to grow as mobile device usage and mobile social networks increasingly gain traction.
The most popular social networks usually display a high number of user accounts or strong user engagement. For example, market leader Facebook was the first social network to surpass 1 billion monthly active users, whereas recent newcomer Pinterest was the fastest independently launched site to reach 10 million unique monthly visitors. The majority of social networks with more than 100 million users originated in the United States, but European services like VK or Chinese social networks Qzone and Renren have also garnered mainstream appeal in their areas due to local context and content.
Social network usage by consumers is highly diverse: platforms such as Facebook or Google+ are highly focused on exchanges between friends and family and are constantly pushing interaction through features like photo or status sharing and social games. Other social networks like Tumblr or Twitter are all about rapid communication and are aptly termed microblogs. Some social networks focus on community; others highlight and display user-generated content.
Due to a constant presence in the lives of their users, social networks have a decidedly strong social impact. The blurring between offline and virtual life as well as the concept of digital identity and online social interactions are some of the aspects that have emerged in recent discussions.
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
- Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014
- Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide as of January 2013Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide as of January 2013
- Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014
- Future use of social media among marketers worldwide as of January 2013, by platformFuture use of social media among marketers worldwide as of January 2013, by platform
- Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013
- Most popular Apple App Store categories in September 2014Most popular Apple App Store categories in September 2014
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of September 2014Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of September 2014
- Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.
- Percentage of adults who used the internet in the U.S. from 2000 to 2010Percentage of adults who used the internet in the U.S. from 2000 to 2010
- Digital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by categoryDigital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by category