Leading social networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic provides information on the most popular networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active accounts. Market leader Facebook was the first social network to surpass 1 billion registered accounts. Fifth-ranked microblogging network Twitter had over 255 million monthly active accounts. Meanwhile, blogging service Tumblr had more than 230 million active blog users on their site.
The leading social networks are usually available in multiple languages and enable users to connect with friends or people across geographical, political or economic borders. In 2012, more than 1.4 billion internet users accessed social networks and these figures are still expected to grow as mobile device usage and mobile social networks increasingly gain traction.
The most popular social networks usually display a high number of user accounts or strong user engagement. For example, market leader Facebook was the first social network to surpass 1 billion monthly active users, whereas recent newcomer Pinterest was the fastest independently launched site to reach 10 million unique monthly visitors. The majority of social networks with more than 100 million users originated in the United States, but European services like VK or Chinese social networks Qzone and Renren have also garnered mainstream appeal in their areas due to local context and content.
Social network usage by consumers is highly diverse: platforms such as Facebook or Google+ are highly focused on exchanges between friends and family and are constantly pushing interaction through features like photo or status sharing and social games. Other social networks like Tumblr or Twitter are all about rapid communication and are aptly termed microblogs. Some social networks focus on community; others highlight and display user-generated content.
Due to a constant presence in the lives of their users, social networks have a decidedly strong social impact. The blurring between offline and virtual life as well as the concept of digital identity and online social interactions are some of the aspects that have emerged in recent discussions.
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
- Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014
- Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide as of January 2013Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide as of January 2013
- Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014
- Future use of social media among marketers worldwide as of January 2013, by platformFuture use of social media among marketers worldwide as of January 2013, by platform
- Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013
- Most popular product brands on Facebook in July 2014Most popular product brands on Facebook in July 2014
- Facebook's quarterly revenue in Europe as of 2nd quarter 2014, by segmentFacebook's quarterly revenue in Europe as of 2nd quarter 2014, by segment
- Social networks - Statista Dossier 2014Social networks - Statista Dossier 2014
- Mobile social networks - Statista Dossier 2014Mobile social networks - Statista Dossier 2014
- Social Media usage in the United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2014Social Media usage in the United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2014
- Social media and events - Statista Dossier 2014Social media and events - Statista Dossier 2014
- Online recruiting and social media - Statista Dossier 2013Online recruiting and social media - Statista Dossier 2013
- Social media marketing in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013Social media marketing in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013
- Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014
- Media important for U.S. consumers 2014Media important for U.S. consumers 2014
- Global mobile app and advertising spending 2008-2013Global mobile app and advertising spending 2008-2013