Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Leading social networks worldwide as of December 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
|Number of active users in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic provides information on the most popular networks worldwide as of December 2014, ranked by number of active accounts. Market leader Facebook was the first social network to surpass 1 billion registered accounts. Fifth-ranked microblogging network Twitter had over 284 million monthly active accounts. Meanwhile, blogging service Tumblr had more than 230 million active blog users on their site.
The leading social networks are usually available in multiple languages and enable users to connect with friends or people across geographical, political or economic borders. In 2012, more than 1.4 billion internet users accessed social networks and these figures are still expected to grow as mobile device usage and mobile social networks increasingly gain traction.
The most popular social networks usually display a high number of user accounts or strong user engagement. For example, market leader Facebook was the first social network to surpass 1 billion monthly active users, whereas recent newcomer Pinterest was the fastest independently launched site to reach 10 million unique monthly visitors. The majority of social networks with more than 100 million users originated in the United States, but European services like VK or Chinese social networks Qzone and Renren have also garnered mainstream appeal in their areas due to local context and content.
Social network usage by consumers is highly diverse: platforms such as Facebook or Google+ are highly focused on exchanges between friends and family and are constantly pushing interaction through features like photo or status sharing and social games. Other social networks like Tumblr or Twitter are all about rapid communication and are aptly termed microblogs. Some social networks focus on community; others highlight and display user-generated content.
Due to a constant presence in the lives of their users, social networks have a decidedly strong social impact. The blurring between offline and virtual life as well as the concept of digital identity and online social interactions are some of the aspects that have emerged in recent discussions.
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013+Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
Percentage of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks as of December 2013
- Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014+Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014
Unique multi-platform visitors to selected social networks in the United States as of February 2014 (in millions)
- Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014+Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014
Which social media platform(s) do you use to market your business?
- Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014+Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014
Number of monthly active mobile social media users in Asia Pacific as of January 2014, by country (in millions)
- Future use of social media among marketers worldwide by platform 2014+Future use of social media among marketers worldwide by platform 2014
How will your use of the following social media marketing channels change in the near future?
- Leading U.S. social media websites in December 2014Leading U.S. social media websites in December 2014
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of December 2014Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of December 2014
- Asia Pacific: Facebook penetration 4th quarter 2014Asia Pacific: Facebook penetration 4th quarter 2014
- Number of daily active Facebook users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014Number of daily active Facebook users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014
- MMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by typeMMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by type
- Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018