Weddings and Marriage - Statistics & Facts
Weddings and Marriage: statistics and facts
In 2012, approximately one third of adults still wanted to get married at some point in their lives, however, the percentage of married adults nowadays is remarkably lower than it was some fifty years ago, regardless of the age of spouses. In 2010, a survey among Americans showed that almost half of Americans aged between 18 and 29 thought that marriage was becoming obsolete.
Unsurprisingly, the annual number of marriages in the United States has slowly but steadily declined over the last 20 years, with the marriage rate in the United States, i.e. the number of marriages per 1,000 people, simultaneously declining from 1990 to 2009. On a positive note, the divorce rate in the U.S. declined slightly during the same period; although it is not clear whether this is simply a side-effect of the shrinking number of unions.
Marriage statistics show that the age at which Americans first get married has changed significantly over the past three decades. In 1970, almost half of American women were younger than 20 years at the time of their first wedding, compared to only 6.94 percent in 2009. The age of men at their first wedding has increased simultaneously, albeit to a slightly higher level.
Sexual intercourse rates are remarkably higher among married persons than among singles, although the figures do not indicate whether or not the spouses actually sleep with their significant other or with someone else who is married.
More interesting facts about marriage in the United States:
|Percentage of weddings in June in the U.S.||16%||Details →|
|Average costs for a wedding in the U.S.||$25,631||Details →|
|Most expensive wedding locations in the U.S.||Manhattan, New York||Details →|
|Number of marriages in the U.S.||2.12m||Details →|
|Marriage rate in the U.S. (per 1,000 of population)||6.8/k||Details →|
|Top U.S. state with the highest marriage rate||Nevada||Details →|
|Number of divorces in the U.S.||0.88m||Details →|
|Divorce rate in the U.S. (per 1,000 of population)||3.6/k||Details →|
|Top job in the U.S. with the highest divorce rate||Dancers & Choreographers||Details →|
- Spending for Valentine's Day gifts for spouses 2007-2014Spending for Valentine's Day gifts for spouses 2007-2014
How much money do you plan on spending on Valentine's Day gifts for your spouse/significant other? (in U.S. dollars)
- Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S.Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S.
Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized by law as valid?
- Marital status of the U.S. population 2012, by sexMarital status of the U.S. population 2012, by sex
Marital status of the U.S. population in 2012, by sex (in millions)
- Expected numer of Valentine's Day proposals in the United States 2012-2013Expected numer of Valentine's Day proposals in the United States 2012-2013
- Traditions adhered to at weddings in the United States in 2011, by typeTraditions adhered to at weddings in the United States in 2011, by type
- Events arranged by couples to celebrate their wedding, by typeEvents arranged by couples to celebrate their wedding, by type