Weddings and Marriage - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Weddings and Marriage
In 2012, approximately one third of adults still wanted to get married at some point in their lives, however, the percentage of married adults nowadays is remarkably lower than it was some fifty years ago, regardless of the age of spouses. In 2010, a survey among Americans showed that almost half of Americans aged between 18 and 29 thought that marriage was becoming obsolete.
Unsurprisingly, the annual number of marriages in the United States has slowly but steadily declined over the last 20 years, with the marriage rate in the United States, i.e. the number of marriages per 1,000 people, simultaneously declining from 1990 to 2012. On a positive note, the divorce rate in the U.S. declined during the same period; although it is not clear whether this is simply a side-effect of the shrinking number of unions. It also seems to gain traction again.
Marriage statistics show that the age at which Americans first get married has changed significantly over the past three decades. In 1970, almost half of American women were younger than 20 years at the time of their first wedding, compared to only 6.94 percent in 2009. The age of men at their first wedding has increased simultaneously, albeit to a slightly higher level. Nowadays, the median age, i.e. half of the respective group is younger, the other half is older, on the first wedding day is at around 29 years for men and at about 27 years for women.
Sexual intercourse rates are remarkably higher among married persons than among singles, by the way, although the figures do not indicate whether or not the spouses actually sleep with their significant other or with someone else who is married.
Photo: istockphoto.com / antonbalazh
|Percentage of weddings in June in the U.S.||16%||Details →|
|Average costs for a wedding in the U.S.||$25,631||Details →|
|Most expensive wedding locations in the U.S.||Manhattan, New York||Details →|
|Number of marriages in the U.S.||2.12m||Details →|
|Marriage rate in the U.S. (per 1,000 of population)||6.8/k||Details →|
|Top U.S. state with the highest marriage rate||Nevada||Details →|
|Number of divorces in the U.S.||0.88m||Details →|
|Divorce rate in the U.S. (per 1,000 of population)||3.6/k||Details →|
|Top job in the U.S. with the highest divorce rate||Dancers & Choreographers||Details →|
- Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S. 1996 to 2015Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S. 1996 to 2015
Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized by law as valid?
- Spending for Valentine's Day gifts for spouses 2007-2015Spending for Valentine's Day gifts for spouses 2007-2015
How much money do you plan on spending on Valentine's Day gifts for your spouse/significant other? (in U.S. dollars)
- Marital status of the U.S. population 2013, by sexMarital status of the U.S. population 2013, by sex
Marital status of the U.S. population in 2013, by sex (in millions)
- Most popular season for weddings ceremonies in the United States as of 2013Most popular season for weddings ceremonies in the United States as of 2013
- Engagement in the United States in 2013, by monthEngagement in the United States in 2013, by month
- Expected numer of Valentine's Day proposals in the United States 2012-2013Expected numer of Valentine's Day proposals in the United States 2012-2013