Television Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the televison industry
Ernie Kovacs, an American comedian and actor, once said that television was called a medium because it was "neither rare nor well done.” Even though Kovacs died in 1962, his words apply to modern-day TV more than ever.
TV is the most used medium in the United States. It reaches almost 90 percent of the U.S. population and, on average, an American spends over 2.5 hours daily watching TV. Audiences are able to choose from a plethora of programs, almost 1,400 TV stations in total.
Recently, trends show that people are starting to turn away from traditional TV, as they begin to look for more interactive entertainment and news sources. The number of TV households in the United States has indicated a negative trend over the last the last three years. Viewers have reduced their spending on TV services and watch less TV than they used to. This in turn has been very beneficial to the internet, as the amount of time spent online is increasing at a rapid pace.
Against all odds, the industry continues to grow and is expected to get bigger in the future. TV revenue is projected to increase by five percent until 2017, which is over twice as much as the current inflation rate in the United States. Advertising and subscription fees, which are the two most important sources of revenue for the sector, will continue bringing in profits.
Picture: istockphoto.com / janulla
|Estimated revenue of the U.S. broadcasting industry||$121.13bn||Details →|
|Revenue of CBS Corp.||$5.6bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Walt Disney Co.||$11.2bn||Details →|
|Number of TV households in the U.S.||116.3m||Details →|
|Consumption & Programming||Values||Statistic|
|Estimated time spent watching television in the U.S.||1,597h/pp/p.a.||Details →|
|Average primetime TV audience in the U.S.||187m||Details →|
|Ratings of Super Bowl XLVII||42%||Details →|
|Game of Thrones is most pirated TV show (BitTorrent downloads)||5.9m||Details →|
|Cost of a 30-second spot during Sunday Night Football (NBC)||$545,142||Details →|
|TV advertising revenue in the U.S.||$69bn||Details →|
|Advertising expenditure of Procter & Gamble||$1,718.7m||Details →|
|Pay and Online TV||Values||Statistic|
|On-demand TV revenues in the U.S.||$1,535m||Details →|
|Number of consumers of online TV in the U.S.||95m||Details →|
- Revenue of the TV industry in the U.S. 2012 and 2017, by sourceRevenue of the TV industry in the U.S. 2012 and 2017, by source
Revenue of the TV industry in the United States in 2012 and 2017, by source
- Leading U.S. media companies 2014, by market valueLeading U.S. media companies 2014, by market value
Leading U.S. media companies in 2014, by market value (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Number of consumers of online TV in the U.S. from 2009 to 2015Number of consumers of online TV in the U.S. from 2009 to 2015
Number of consumers of online TV in the United States from 2009 to 2015 (in millions)
- Credibility of major news organizations in the U.S. 2012Credibility of major news organizations in the U.S. 2012
How much can you believe in each?
- Global TV advertising revenue from 2012 to 2017, by sourceGlobal TV advertising revenue from 2012 to 2017, by source
- TV ad spend worldwide 2010-2020, by typeTV ad spend worldwide 2010-2020, by type
- TV programming and broadcasting activities gross value added (GVA) in the UKTV programming and broadcasting activities gross value added (GVA) in the UK
- TV advertising spending in the U.S. 2009-2013TV advertising spending in the U.S. 2009-2013
- Ad revenue in U.S. broadcast television from 2004 to 2013Ad revenue in U.S. broadcast television from 2004 to 2013
- Distribution of global TV industry revenue in 2012, by source and regionDistribution of global TV industry revenue in 2012, by source and region
- TV advertising spending worldwide from 2008 to 2018, by regionTV advertising spending worldwide from 2008 to 2018, by region
- Soccer TV advertising spending in the U.S 2010-2013Soccer TV advertising spending in the U.S 2010-2013
- TV advertising expenditure worldwide from 2000 to 2016TV advertising expenditure worldwide from 2000 to 2016
- Share of online TV in TV advertising revenue in Canada in 2012 and 2013Share of online TV in TV advertising revenue in Canada in 2012 and 2013
- Leading TV programming genres in the U.S. 2013, by ad spendLeading TV programming genres in the U.S. 2013, by ad spend