Wimbledon is widely considered the most traditional Tennis tournament in the world. It is the last of the four Grand Slam tournaments to be played on grass, a surface that has largely vanished from Tennis courts around the world.
Roger Federer, Pete Sampras (both 7 singles titles) and Martina Navratilova (9 singles titles) are the the record winners of the Championship. This year, Roger Federer has the chance to clinch his eighth Wimbledon title, a feat no man before him has achieved.
Wimbledon is one of the most-watched sporting events in the world. In 2012, The Championships reached a global TV audience o 379m people. Almost 30 million Americans followed Wimbledon on TV in the past year.
The winner's purse at the Wimbledon Championships reached an all-time high this year. Both winners of the singles competition will take home £1.6 million ($2.45 million).
- Sports SponsorshipThe World's Highest Paid Athletes
This infographic shows the highest paid athletes worldwide from June 2012 through May 2013.
- Average percentage of U.S. population engaged in sports and exercise per day from 2010 to 2013*
Percentage of U.S. population engaged in sports and exercise per day 2013
- Total number of U.S. male participants in high school athletics from 1992 to 2013
Total number of male participants in athletic programs in U.S. high schools 2013
- Most popular outdoor activities by number of participants in the U.S. from 2009 to 2012 (in millions)
Most popular outdoor activites in the U.S. 2012
- Tennis players with the most Twitter followers as of July 2013Tennis players with the most Twitter followers as of July 2013
- Male tennis players by number of Grand Slam tournament titles up to 2014Male tennis players by number of Grand Slam tournament titles up to 2014
- ATP World Tour - career prize money earnings of tennis players 2014ATP World Tour - career prize money earnings of tennis players 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter