GTA V is the Most Expensive Video Game Ever Produced
Grand Theft Auto V, developed by Rockstar North, marks the seventh major installment of the popular GTA franchise and its release on September 18 was accompanied by overwhelmingly positive reviews. Set in fictional Los Santos, which does little to hide its resemblance to Los Angeles, the game offers the usual mix of violence, humour and pop cultural references, but does so with an unprecedented attention for detail.
Despite its huge production budget, analysts are expecting the game to become a financial success. Early estimates predict sales in excess of 20 million units until March 2014, which would yield Rockstar's parent company Take-Two Interactive around one billion U.S. dollars in revenue.
- Video Game IndustrySony Trumps Nintendo in Shrinking Console Market
This chart shows video game console sales of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.
- Video GamesWii U on Track to Become Nintendo's Worst Selling Console
This chart shows Nintendo's home video game console sales since 1998.
- Video GamesThe Rapid Decline of Nintendo's Hardware Business
This chart illustrates the rapid decline of Nintendo's hardware business.
- PriceA PS4 Costs 4x as Much in Brazil as in the U.S.
This chart shows the suggested retail price for a PlayStation 4 in selected countries in 2014.
- Video GamesThe Vita Launch
This infographic includes first-week sales data of the Playstation Vita and of other portable game consoles such as the Nintendo 3DS.
- Hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry from May 2012 to May 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Monthly hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2012-2014
- Retail revenue of the U.S. video game industry from May 2012 to May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2012-2014
- Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry from May 2012 to May 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2012-2014
- Video game market value worldwide 2013-2017, by segmentVideo game market value worldwide 2013-2017, by segment
- Revenue of the largest video game publishers worldwide in 2013Revenue of the largest video game publishers worldwide in 2013
- Video games revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2015, by sourceVideo games revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2015, by source
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter