Can New Models Revive Apple's iPad Growth?
Apple is expected to release at least two new iPad models later today. A re-designed 10-inch iPad and, if the rumours are correct, an iPad mini with Retina display. The latter is something that both the company's critics and fans have demanded from the moment that Apple introduced the original iPad mini last year. The consensus was that, while it is a good device, it wouldn't become a great device without a high-resolution screen.
Given the recent slowdown of iPad sales, Apple will surely hope to strike a nerve with consumers with this year's iPad models. In the past few quarters, the company's share of the tablet market has gradually declined as its competitors, Samsung and Google in particular, have finally figured out how to build tablets that can compete with Apple's devices.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- TabletsThe iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
This chart shows the Top 8 tablet brands in North America, based on their share of tablet-based web usage in April 2014.
- TabletsThe Tablet Market Cooled Down in the First Quarter
This chart shows global tablet shipments by operating system.
- TabletsHow Different Tablet Users Spend Their Time
This chart shows the percentage of tablet owners in the U.S. who frequently use their devices for the following.
- App StoresiPad Owners Pay More than Twice as Much for Apps as iPhone Users
This chart shows average app prices in 2013.
- Global Apple iPad sales from 3rd quarter 2010 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2014, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Worldwide shipments of tablets from 2010 to 2018 (in million units)
Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2018
- Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarterApple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarter
- Apple's global revenue from iPad sales 2010-2014Apple's global revenue from iPad sales 2010-2014
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. tablet market share Q2 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. tablet market share Q2 2010-Q4 2011
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter