Can New Models Revive Apple's iPad Growth?
Apple is expected to release at least two new iPad models later today. A re-designed 10-inch iPad and, if the rumours are correct, an iPad mini with Retina display. The latter is something that both the company's critics and fans have demanded from the moment that Apple introduced the original iPad mini last year. The consensus was that, while it is a good device, it wouldn't become a great device without a high-resolution screen.
Given the recent slowdown of iPad sales, Apple will surely hope to strike a nerve with consumers with this year's iPad models. In the past few quarters, the company's share of the tablet market has gradually declined as its competitors, Samsung and Google in particular, have finally figured out how to build tablets that can compete with Apple's devices.
Global Apple iPad sales from 3rd fiscal quarter of 2010 to 2nd fiscal quarter of 2015 (in million units)*
Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2015, by quarter
Projected unit shipments of tablets worldwide from 2010 to 2019 (in million units)
Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2019
Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2014, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2015, by quarterApple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2015, by quarter
- Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2019Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2019
- Forecast: iPad users in the U.S. 2010-2016Forecast: iPad users in the U.S. 2010-2016
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarterGlobal market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens