Humans Account for Less Than Half of Global Web Traffic
Global web traffic has increased sharply over the past few years. However, the majority of today's website traffic is not actually human traffic. According to Incapsula's Global Bot Traffic Report, 56% of website traffic can be traced back to bots that automatically browse websites for different purposes. Roughly half of all automated traffic comes from good bots, e.g. search engine crawlers that index a website’s content. The other half of automated traffic is malicious though, caused by impersonators, content scrapers or other hacking tools that are used to steal data, spam websites or simply bring them down.
- Average duration of monthly internet usage per user in selected countries as of 4th quarter 2014 (in hours)
Duration of monthly internet usage in selected countries 2014
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of 4th quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide 2014, by country
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Forecast: consumer internet traffic in North America 2013-2018Forecast: consumer internet traffic in North America 2013-2018
- Forecast: global content delivery network internet traffic 2013-2018Forecast: global content delivery network internet traffic 2013-2018
- Share of mobile internet traffic in global regions 2013-2014Share of mobile internet traffic in global regions 2013-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens