Humans Account for Less Than 40% of Global Web Traffic
Global web traffic has increased sharply over the past few years. However, the majority of today's website traffic is not actually human traffic. More than 60% of website traffic can be traced back to bots that automatically browse websites for different purposes. Roughly half of all automated traffic comes from good bots, that search engines such as Google use to index a website’s content. The other half of automated traffic is malicious though, caused by content scrapers, spam bots or and other programs that mean harm.
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide in February 2014, by country
- Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014
- Forecast: consumer internet traffic in North America 2013-2018Forecast: consumer internet traffic in North America 2013-2018
- Forecast: global content delivery network internet traffic 2013-2018Forecast: global content delivery network internet traffic 2013-2018
- Share of mobile internet traffic in global regions 2013-2014Share of mobile internet traffic in global regions 2013-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens