Internet usage worldwide - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on internet usage worldwide
Currently, more than 2.92 billion people worldwide access the internet, up from 394 million in 2000. The majority of global internet users are located in Asia, with Europe following in second place. Currently, more than 13 percent of worldwide internet users access the web from North America.
In 2014, global monthly internet usage amounted to 22.8 hours per month with strong growth rates in terms of mobile internet usage. Some of the most popular online activities are social networking, online search, online video and online shopping.
Facebook was found to be the leading social network with 1.32 million active users as of October 2014. Popular online content categories include search, multimedia, social networking and news, as well as online video.
The internet provides a platform on which multi-billion dollar internet companies, specializing in various online sectors, have formed, grown and expanded. Google, Facebook and Amazon are global market leaders in search, social networking and B2C e-commerce respectively. International companies Baidu, Rakuten and Alibaba are also internet companies consistently raising their global profile. In 2014, Google was the highest-valued internet company with a market value of 377 billion U.S. dollars.
The ever expanding e-commerce market is a huge attraction to internet users worldwide, as shown in the growth of e-commerce volume and consumer spending in selected countries. In 2013, the top 100 online retailers in the United States generated more than 221.09 billion dollars in web sales. According to industry rankings, Amazon was placed first with more than 67 billion U.S. dollars in online commerce revenues. Mobile retail is also one of the fastest growing online categories - in 2013, leading web-only merchants generated several billion dollars in m-commerce sales.
Picture: istockphoto.com / geopaul; freeimages.com / elementa1
|Number of worldwide internet users||3174m||Details →|
|Number of internet users in Western Europe||326.1m||Details →|
|Number of internet users in China||483.18m||Details →|
|Number of internet users in the U.S.||201.78m||Details →|
|Google market value||$373bn||Details →|
|Facebook market value||$226bn||Details →|
|Average revenue of Amazon.com||$88.99bn||Details →|
|Google’s global revenue in 2014||$66bn||Details →|
|Access and Traffic||Values||Statistic|
|Number of fixed broadband subscriptions worldwide in millions||711||Details →|
|South Korea’s average internet connection speed||23.1 Mbps||Details →|
- Duration of monthly internet usage in selected countries 2015Duration of monthly internet usage in selected countries 2015
Average duration of monthly internet usage per user in selected countries as of May 2015 (in hours)
- Number of internet users worldwide 2015, by countryNumber of internet users worldwide 2015, by country
Number of internet users in selected countries as of May 2015 (in millions)
- Global number of worldwide internet users 2005-2015+Global number of worldwide internet users 2005-2015
Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2015 (in millions)
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2015Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2015
Market capitalization of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Forecast: revenue internet publishing US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue internet publishing US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail UK 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue telecommunications activities - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue telecommunications activities - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue IT & computer service activities - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue IT & computer service activities - other Germany 2008-2020