Internet usage worldwide - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on internet usage worldwide
Currently, more than 3.17 billion people worldwide access the internet, up from 394 million in 2000. The majority of global internet users are located in Asia, with Europe following in second place. As of May 2015, only 12.6 percent of worldwide internet users access the web from North America.
Early 2015 data shows that global monthly internet usage from desktop connections amounted to 21.7 hours per month with strong growth rates in terms of mobile internet usage. Some of the most popular online activities are social networking, online search, online video and online shopping.
Facebook was found to be the leading social network with 1.55 million active users as of October 2015. Other popular social networks include Instagram, Twitter and Tumblr, as well as mobile chat apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or WeChat. Many companies have been profiting from the increased mobile usage by following a mobile-first strategy and optimizing their content for mobile devices. In 2015, daily social media usage of global internet users amounted to 106.2 minutes per day, up from 103.2 minutes in the previous year.
The internet provides a platform on which multi-billion dollar internet companies, specializing in various online sectors, have formed, grown and expanded. Google, Facebook and Amazon are global market leaders in search, social networking and B2C e-commerce respectively. International companies Baidu, Rakuten and Alibaba are also internet companies consistently raising their global profile. In 2015, Google was the highest-valued internet company with a market value of 373 billion U.S. dollars.
The ever expanding e-commerce market is a huge attraction to internet users worldwide, as shown in the growth of e-commerce volume and consumer spending in selected countries. In 2013, the top 100 online retailers in the United States generated more than 221.09 billion dollars in web sales. According to industry rankings, Amazon was placed first with more than 67 billion U.S. dollars in online commerce revenues. Mobile retail is also one of the fastest growing online categories - in the most recent reported year, mobile retail revenues in the United States amounted to almost 75 billion U.S. dollars. Mobile commerce is also incredibly popular in emerging markets and China - during the 2015 Singles Day e-commerce shopping festival, mobile sales accounted for 68 percent of gross merchandise volume.
Picture: istockphoto.com / geopaul; freeimages.com / elementa1
|Number of worldwide internet users||3174m||Details →|
|Number of internet users in Western Europe||326.1m||Details →|
|Number of internet users in China||483.18m||Details →|
|Number of internet users in the U.S.||201.78m||Details →|
|Google/Alphabet market value||$510bn||Details →|
|Facebook market value||$340bn||Details →|
|Average revenue of Amazon.com||$107.01bn||Details →|
|Google’s global revenue in 2015||$74.54bn||Details →|
|Access and Traffic||Values||Statistic|
|Number of fixed broadband subscriptions worldwide||884m||Details →|
|South Korea’s average internet connection speed||29 Mbps||Details →|
- Duration of monthly internet usage in selected countries 2015Duration of monthly internet usage in selected countries 2015
Average duration of monthly internet usage per user in selected countries as of May 2015 (in hours)
- Number of internet users worldwide 2015, by countryNumber of internet users worldwide 2015, by country
Number of internet users in selected countries as of May 2015 (in millions)
- Number of internet users worldwide 2005-2016+Number of internet users worldwide 2005-2016
Number of internet users worldwide from 2005 to 2016 (in millions)
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2016Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2016
Market capitalization of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- China: leading online video platforms by unique visits as of August 18, 2016China: leading online video platforms by unique visits as of August 18, 2016
- United States: retail e-commerce sales 2013-2020United States: retail e-commerce sales 2013-2020
- Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2015Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2015
- Household internet penetration in the United Kingdom (UK) 1998-2016Household internet penetration in the United Kingdom (UK) 1998-2016
- Price of Bitcoin monthly 2014-2016Price of Bitcoin monthly 2014-2016