Reluctance to Pay for Online News Remains High
The 2014 edition of the Digital News Report, an annual publication issued by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, revealed that the willingness to pay for online news content remains remarkably low. Only 11% of the 18,000 online consumers surveyed for the study stated to have paid for any type of online news in the past year. According to the study, the absolute number of people paying for digital news remained almost unchanged compared to last year, after last year's study had revealed a significant uptick in paying news readers.
Over the past few years, online publishers have tried a number of ways to get readers to pay for online news content. Paywalls, metered paywalls and voluntary payments are among the methods tried and tested to finally convince readers that online content is worth paying for.
- Which online news brands have you accessed in the last week?
Leading online news brands in the U.S. as of February 2013
- Which offline news brands have you accessed in the last week?
Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2014
- Which of the following types of news are most important to you?
Level of interest in various news types in the U.S. in 2013
- Online news, newspapers and magazine consumption in Great Britain 2007-2013Online news, newspapers and magazine consumption in Great Britain 2007-2013
- Leading online newspapers worldwide in 2012Leading online newspapers worldwide in 2012
- Online newspaper consumption in Great Britain 2013, by demographicOnline newspaper consumption in Great Britain 2013, by demographic
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter