Streaming Boom Stifles Music Downloads
A little more than 10 years after Apple opened the iTunes Music Store and shook the music industry, it appears as if music downloads are about to suffer the same fate that many other forms of music distribution have suffered. After global download revenues declined for the first time in 2013, the negative trend appears to continue in 2014. According to Nielsen’s mid-year music report, music downloads in the U.S. suffered double-digit declines in the first six months of this year, as music consumption continues to shift towards streaming.
Considering the most recent numbers, Apple’s $3 billion acquisition of Beats appears to make a lot of sense. If Apple wants to keep the dominant position in the music market it conquered with the iTunes Store a decade ago, the company needs to introduce a proper streaming service before Spotify and others run away with the market. Having acquired Beats Music, Apple doesn’t need to build a streaming service from scratch but can build on Beats’ alreadly solid product.
- The most successful music tours worldwide in 1st half 2014, based on gross revenue (in million U.S. dollars)
The most successful music tours worldwide 2014
- Most Grammy Award-winning individuals of all time as of 2014
Most Grammy-winning individuals of all time
- Most popular songs in the United States in 2013, based on internet streams
Most popular songs in the U.S. in 2013, based on internet streams
- Music industry: worldwide revenues from 2002 to 2013, by sectorMusic industry: worldwide revenues from 2002 to 2013, by sector
- Music industry gross value added (GVA) in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012, by groupingMusic industry gross value added (GVA) in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012, by grouping
- Subscription music streaming revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2009-2013Subscription music streaming revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2009-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens