Google+ Hits Big in BRIC Nations
Google+ continues to struggle building a significant user base in the United States. According to new data published by GlobalWebIndex, there are 14 million active Google+ users in the U.S.
With a penetration rate of only 6 percent, Google+ remains far behind its competitors Twitter and most importantly Facebook, which has a penetration rate way beyond 50 percent of U.S. Internet users.
In other developed economies Google+ faces the same difficulties: With penetration rates of 4, 5 and 7 percent in Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom respectively, Google+ remains a niche service in these countries.
On a positive note, Google appears to be making headway in emerging economies. Google+ is used by at least 25 percent of Internet users in all four BRIC nations; India standing out with a penetration rate of 38 percent.
Above chart shows the penetration rate of Google+ in selected countries.
- FacebookFacebook Drives 20x As Much Traffic As Twitter Does
This chart shows the percentage of overall traffic to websites coming from Facebook or Twitter referrals. Next to social referrals, overall traffic includes direct traffic, paid and organic search traffic etc.
- FacebookTop Brands See Facebook Engagement Plummeting
This chart shows the average number of interactions per Facebook post for the most engaging global brands on the social network.
- TwitterAsia to Become Twitter's Most Important Market
This charts shows an estimated regional breakdown of Twitter's active user base from 2012 to 2018.
- Social NetworksHow Marketers Use Social Media
This chart shows which social platforms are used by marketers. It also shows how the use of social networks in marketing differs depending on whether it’s targeted to businesses or consumers.
- Social NetworksSocial Networks Take Up The Most Online Time in the U.S.
This chart shows the average minutes per day spent with online activities in the U.S. in 2013.
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide from 3rd quarter 2008 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Leading social networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Number of smartphone social network users in the United States from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)
Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017
- Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017
- Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter