Google+ Hits Big in BRIC Nations
Google+ continues to struggle building a significant user base in the United States. According to new data published by GlobalWebIndex, there are 14 million active Google+ users in the U.S.
With a penetration rate of only 6 percent, Google+ remains far behind its competitors Twitter and most importantly Facebook, which has a penetration rate way beyond 50 percent of U.S. Internet users.
In other developed economies Google+ faces the same difficulties: With penetration rates of 4, 5 and 7 percent in Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom respectively, Google+ remains a niche service in these countries.
On a positive note, Google appears to be making headway in emerging economies. Google+ is used by at least 25 percent of Internet users in all four BRIC nations; India standing out with a penetration rate of 38 percent.
Above chart shows the penetration rate of Google+ in selected countries.
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide from 3rd quarter 2008 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014
- Leading social networks worldwide as of October 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Number of smartphone social network users in the United States from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)
Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017
- Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017
- Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens