Google+ Hits Big in BRIC Nations
Google+ continues to struggle building a significant user base in the United States. According to new data published by GlobalWebIndex, there are 14 million active Google+ users in the U.S.
With a penetration rate of only 6 percent, Google+ remains far behind its competitors Twitter and most importantly Facebook, which has a penetration rate way beyond 50 percent of U.S. Internet users.
In other developed economies Google+ faces the same difficulties: With penetration rates of 4, 5 and 7 percent in Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom respectively, Google+ remains a niche service in these countries.
On a positive note, Google appears to be making headway in emerging economies. Google+ is used by at least 25 percent of Internet users in all four BRIC nations; India standing out with a penetration rate of 38 percent.
Above chart shows the penetration rate of Google+ in selected countries.
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 1st quarter 2015 (in millions)
Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2015
Leading social networks worldwide as of March 2015, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2015
Number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2018 (in billions)
Number of global social network users 2010-2018
- Number of global social network users 2010-2018Number of global social network users 2010-2018
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2015Global social networks ranked by number of users 2015
- Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2015Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens