Time Warner to Spin Off Time Inc. Magazine Division
Yesterday afternoon, Time Warner surprisingly announced that it would spin off its magazine publishing division, Time Inc., into a separate public company. The company had previously been in talks to merge parts of the Time Inc. magazine portfolio with Meredith to form a new company, but the negotiations fell apart over some of Time’s most prestigious titles – Time, Sports Illustrated, Fortune and Money – which Meredith didn’t want to include in the deal.
Time Warner’s magazine business hasn’t been spared by the industrywide declines and Time Inc.’s results have consistently lagged behind those of its parent company in recent years. From 2006 to 2012, revenue of Time Warner’s magazine division dropped 35 percent, while the company’s overall revenue grew 15 percent.
Time Inc. will be the latest in a row of prominent assets that Time Warner has freed itself of. In recent years, the company spun off AOL, Time Warner Cable and the Warner Music Group, in a bid to re-focus on its TV networks and filmed entertainment divisions. The spin off is scheduled to be completed by the end of the calendar year.
- Internet Usage in ChinaTencent's Impressive Line Of Messaging + Social Platforms
This chart shows the growth of Tencent's instant messaging and social media platforms.
- NetflixNetflix Challenges TV Networks at the 2014 Emmys
This chart shows the 12 networks with the most nominations at the 2014 Emmy Awards.
- Online Gaming IndustryBig Trouble in Little FarmVille
This chart shows Zynga's revenue from the first quarter of 2009 through the second quarter of 2014.
- NetflixNetflix Beats HBO in Subscription Revenue
This chart compares the subscription revenue of pay-TV provider HBO to Netflix's streaming subscription revenue.
- LinkedInLinkedIn's Impressive Revenue Growth
This chart shows LinkedIn's revenue growth since Q1 2009.
- Number of magazine launches and closures in North America from 2008 to 2013
Number of magazine launches and closures in North America from 2008 to 2013
- Number of magazines in the United States from 2002 to 2012
Number of magazines in the United States from 2002 to 2012
- Leading magazine advertisers in the United States in 2011, by spending (in million U.S. dollars)
Leading magazine advertisers in the U.S. in 2011, by spending
- Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter