Consumer Price Index (CPI) of all urban consumers in the United States from 1992 to 2013
|Consumer Price Index (100=1982-1984)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the consumer price index for urban consumers in the United States of America from 1992 to 2013. In 2013, the CPI was 232.9. Data represents US city averages.
United States urban Consumer Price Index (CPI)
The U.S. Consumer Price Index is a measure of change in the price of consumer goods and services purchased by households. The CPI is defined by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics as "a measure of the average change over time in the prices paid by urban consumers for a market basket of consumer goods and services." To calculate the CPI, the Bureau of Labor Statistics considers the price of goods and services from various categories: housing, transportation, apparel, food & beverage, medical care, recreation, education and other/uncategorized. The CPI is a useful measure, as it indicates how the cost of urban living in the United States has changed over time, compared to a base period. CPI is also used to calculate inflation, or change in the purchasing power of money.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. urban CPI has been rising steadily since 1992. As of 2012, the CPI was 229.6, up from 179.9 ten years earlier and up from 140.3 twenty years earlier. This indicates the extent to which, compared to a base period 1982-1984 = 100, the price of various goods and services has risen. Rising food prices, for example have already affected consumers in North America. In 2012, fifty percent of survey respondents in North America reported that rising food prices had a major impact on their grocery purchases. Looking forward, the International Monetary Fund projects that the CPI will continue to rise in the next few years, reaching 251.89 in the year 2017.
- Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers 2013, by regionConsumer Price Index of all urban consumers 2013, by region
- Monthly percentage of change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) in the U.S. 2014Monthly percentage of change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) in the U.S. 2014
- USA - chained inflation rate 2001-2012USA - chained inflation rate 2001-2012
- U.S. inflation rate 1990-2013U.S. inflation rate 1990-2013
- U.S. personal income 1990-2012U.S. personal income 1990-2012
- Monthly inflation rate in China by sector as of July 2014Monthly inflation rate in China by sector as of July 2014
- Monthly inflation rate in China as of July 2014Monthly inflation rate in China as of July 2014
- Monthly change in the Producer Price Index for finished goods in the U.S. 2013-2014Monthly change in the Producer Price Index for finished goods in the U.S. 2013-2014
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013