Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Revenue forecast for the U.S. toys and games market from 2009 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
|Revenue forecast (in billion U.S. dollars)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph depicts the revenue forecasts for the U.S. toys and games market from 2009 to 2014. Estimated revenue for 2010 is 21.98 billion U.S. dollars
U.S. Toys & Games Market
The toys and games market comprises a wide range of products, including art and craft, building and other learning and hobby sets/toys, dolls, jigsaw, board and card games, action figures, die cast models, soft toys and outdoor games and sports toys/games. Traditional toy sales are suffering due to the growing popularity of the computer games market; however, this is somewhat balanced by a constant demand for infants’ toys. Toys and games are not necessities but rather viewed as a treat of which frequency and cost is dependent on the affluence of the buyer. Grandparents of the baby-boomer generations are generally wealthier than in previous generations, especially in developed nations, and are able to spoil their grandchildren to a greater extent. The popularity of many toys and games is short-lived and/or seasonal, which means the retail market is subject to rapid change.
It is becoming increasingly challenging for independent toy stores to compete with mass merchandisers and department stores, as they are able to exploit economies of scale to offer low prices. A survey by Scarborough Research suggests that about 34 million people in the United States shopped at Toys 'R' US during the spring of 2013. The company also went on to spend about 140 million U.S. dollars on advertising that year.
The most significant substitutes to the toys and games market are computer games. Children are playing computer games at a lower age in an increasingly digital world. Consoles, PCs and mobile phones are playing an ever growing part in children's lives by providing games, education and entertainment. Despite not providing a cheaper alternative on the whole, computer games are becoming more popular to the detriment of traditional toys and games where customer loyalty is low with no switching costs. However, young children with more affluent peers still provide a stable source of revenue for more traditional toys and games.
The toys and games market is generally fragmented, with numerous retailers present, boosting the competition within this market. Some market players are highly dependent on revenues from toys and games sales, with department stores and supermarkets being less dependent than specialized toy stores, due to the variety of goods on offer.
- U.S. global annual exports of toys, dolls and games 2012+U.S. global annual exports of toys, dolls and games 2012
Total global annual U.S. exports (F.A.S. value)* of toys, dolls and games from 2000 to 2012 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- U.S. global annual imports of toys, dolls and games 2000-2013+U.S. global annual imports of toys, dolls and games 2000-2013
Total global annual U.S. imports of toys, dolls and games from 2000 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Economic impact of the U.S. toy industry 2011+Economic impact of the U.S. toy industry 2011
Economic impact of the U.S. toy industry in 2011 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Value of the global personal luxury goods market 1995-2013Value of the global personal luxury goods market 1995-2013
Value of the personal luxury goods market worldwide from 1995 to 2013 (in billion euros)
- U.S. annual imports of toys, dolls and games from Japan 2013U.S. annual imports of toys, dolls and games from Japan 2013
Total annual U.S. imports* of toys, dolls and games from Japan from 2000 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Share of U.S.consumers that plan on purchasing toys this holiday season 2008-2014Share of U.S.consumers that plan on purchasing toys this holiday season 2008-2014
- Amount spent on toys by U.S. consumers for the holidays 2008-2014Amount spent on toys by U.S. consumers for the holidays 2008-2014
- Types of toys to be purchased by U.S. consumers during the holidays 2013-2014Types of toys to be purchased by U.S. consumers during the holidays 2013-2014
- Leading packet or bar detergent brands sales of the U.S. 2014Leading packet or bar detergent brands sales of the U.S. 2014
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013
- World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013