Toy Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Toy Industry
The size of the global toy market is estimated to be at 84 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, of which 20 billion U.S. dollars are attributable to the U.S. market. The direct economic impact of the U.S. toy industry is estimated at about 29 billion U.S. dollars, supporting approximately 250 thousand jobs.
According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. imported toys, dolls & games (NAICS 33993) with a value of about 18 billion U.S. dollars in 2012. China is by a wide margin the biggest importer, accounting for more than 85 percent of U.S. toys, dolls & games imports.
In comparison, the U.S. exported toys with a customs value of about 3.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, of which goods worth approximately 240 million U.S. dollars were exported to China. Although exports to China have experienced growth over the last few years (2008: 14.3 million U.S. dollars), the most important export market continues to be Canada. In 2012, U.S. exports to Canada had a value of almost 1.3 billion U.S. dollars.
The world’s leading toy manufacturing companies are Hasbro, Mattel, JAKKS Pacific, LEGO and Namco Bandai. The combined revenue of these five companies amounted to around 20 billion U.S. dollars in 2012. In 2011, an average of 309 U.S. dollars were spent on toys per child in the U.S.
Photo: sxc.hu / sasan
|Global Toy Industry||Values||Statistic|
|Total revenue of global toy market||$84.1bn||Details →|
|U.S. toy market size||$21.18bn||Details →|
|Ø amount spent per child on toys in the UK||$499||Details →|
|Worldwide revenue of Mattel||$6,023.82m||Details →|
|U.S. Toy Market||Values||Statistic|
|Toys retail sales revenue in the U.S.||$22bn||Details →|
|U.S. global annual imports of toys, dolls and games||$16.93bn||Details →|
|U.S. global annual exports of toys, dolls and games||$3.33bn||Details →|
|Total recalls of children’s products in the U.S.||75||Details →|
|Number of units of recalled children’s products in the U.S.||16.83m||Details →|
- Average amount spent on toys per child by country 2013Average amount spent on toys per child by country 2013
Average amount spent per child on toys by country in 2013 (in U.S. dollars)
- Global toy market: total revenue 2012Global toy market: total revenue 2012
Total revenue of the global toy market from 2007 to 2012 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Toy companies revenue worldwide 2014Toy companies revenue worldwide 2014
Worldwide revenue of major toy companies in 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Forecast: revenue game and toy store retail Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue game and toy store retail Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue gams and toy manufacture UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue gams and toy manufacture UK 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue gams and toy manufacture Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue gams and toy manufacture Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue household goods wholesale - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue household goods wholesale - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: total revenue doll, toy and game manufacture Canada 2008-2020Forecast: total revenue doll, toy and game manufacture Canada 2008-2020