Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Total number of murders in the United States in 2012, by state
|Number of murder victims|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph displays the number of murders in the United States by state. In 2012, the number of murders in Alaska amounted to 29 victims.
Murder in the United States
Violent crime statistics, particularly murder and homicide data, provide key insights into law enforcement in the United States and inform national debate surrounding crime policies.
There were a total of 14,827 reported murder and non-negligent manslaughter cases in the U.S. in 2012. Although the number of cases has declined in the past twenty years, when viewed in international comparison, the U.S. murder rate is still high. In 2012, Germany’s murder rate stood at 0.8, compared to 4.7 in the United States.
The most dangerous U.S. state in 2012, if measured by the number of murders per hundred thousand inhabitants, was Louisiana. The murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate in Louisiana came to 10.8 that year, more than twice the national average. The least dangerous state in 2012, on the other hand, was New Hampshire, with a murder rate of 1.1.
Murder, homicide and violent crime statistics regularly influence America’s current political debate on gun law. Under the Second Amendment, U.S. citizens are entitled to own and carry firearms, though gun control and regulation laws are hotly contested. The amount of firearms in circulation in the U.S. is fairly high, when compared with European countries. About 45 percent of American households have a gun in their home.
Though any causal connection between firearm circulation and homicide rate is purely speculative, murder by firearm is nonetheless high. About 60 percent of murders and non-negligent manslaughter cases in the U.S. were carried out using a firearm, including handguns, rifles, and shotguns. This number sums up to 8,855 murders by firearm.
- Homicide: Relationship of victims to suspects in England & Wales 2012/13, by genderHomicide: Relationship of victims to suspects in England & Wales 2012/13, by gender
- U.S.: number of reported violent crime 1990 to 2012U.S.: number of reported violent crime 1990 to 2012
- Death rate for homicide in the U.S. 1950-2010Death rate for homicide in the U.S. 1950-2010
- Death rate for homicide in the U.S. 2010 by gender and ageDeath rate for homicide in the U.S. 2010 by gender and age
- U.S.: reported murder and nonnegligent manslaughter cases 1990-2012U.S.: reported murder and nonnegligent manslaughter cases 1990-2012
- Number of women murdered by men in the U.S. in 2012, by stateNumber of women murdered by men in the U.S. in 2012, by state
- United Kingdom (UK): Well-being measures of Northern Ireland in 2014United Kingdom (UK): Well-being measures of Northern Ireland in 2014
- United Kingdom (UK): Well-being measures of North East England in 2014United Kingdom (UK): Well-being measures of North East England in 2014
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Gross domestic product in Catalonia and Spain 2003-2013Gross domestic product in Catalonia and Spain 2003-2013