Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Consumer spending on golf equipment in the U.S. from 2007 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)*
|Golf equipment purchases (in million U.S. dollars)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph depicts the total volume of golf equipment purchases in the United States from 2007 to 2014. In 2007, consumer spending on golf equipment amounted to 3,722 million U.S. dollars.
Economic impact of golf
The U.S. golf industry has an estimated direct economic impact of around 70 million U.S. dollars annually. This figure is based on several segments such as golf course capital investment, golf facility operations, golfer supplies, charities and tournaments and associations.
It includes for example around 20 billion U.S. dollars from green fees and consumer purchases of golf equipment to the value of 3.4 billion U.S. dollars. These equipment purchases include items such as golf clubs (woods, irons, hybrids and putters), golf bags and balls. The average price for a set of golf clubs was at 40 U.S. dollars in 2011, golf shoes sold for an average of 66 U.S. dollars at the retail level. The wholesale sales of golf equipment had a value of around 2.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2011.
Among the leading golf equipment companies in the world is Callaway Golf with revenues of 834 million U.S. dollars in 2012. Its drivers, fairway woods and hybrid segment contributed 24 percent to the total revenue. Irons (20%), putters (11%), golf balls (17%) and accessories (28%) are the other reported segments of Callaway Golf. Callaway’s main market is the U.S. where the company generated almost 50 percent of its revenue.
Around 26 million people play golf in the U.S., at least occasionally, at approximately 15,600 golf facilities. Among the leading golf club operating businesses is ClubCorp. The company operates 102 golf and country clubs and 49 business, sports and alumni clubs mostly in the U.S. Overall the company has approximately 145,000 memberships and 350,000 individual members with total revenues of almost 755 million U.S. dollars in 2012.
More statistics and facts on golf
- Consumer sports equipment sales in the U.S. 2013, by product categoryConsumer sports equipment sales in the U.S. 2013, by product category
- Optics sports equipment consumer purchases in the U.S. 2014Optics sports equipment consumer purchases in the U.S. 2014
- Estimated consumer spending related to the Super Bowl weekend 2014Estimated consumer spending related to the Super Bowl weekend 2014
- Wheel sports equipment consumer purchases in the U.S. 2012Wheel sports equipment consumer purchases in the U.S. 2012
- Soccer balls consumer purchases in the U.S. 2014Soccer balls consumer purchases in the U.S. 2014
- Sporting goods - golf equipment companies ranked by revenue 2013Sporting goods - golf equipment companies ranked by revenue 2013
- High schools with boys athletics programs in the U.S. by sport 2014High schools with boys athletics programs in the U.S. by sport 2014
- High schools with girls athletics programs in the U.S. by sport 2013/14High schools with girls athletics programs in the U.S. by sport 2013/14