Sporting Goods Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Sporting Goods Industry
The market for sporting goods in the United States has a projected value of more than 63 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. This figure takes into account the consumer purchases of many different product types such as athletic footwear, exercise equipment, licensed sports merchandise athletic apparel but does not include recreational transportation items such as bicycles, pleasure boats, RVs and snowmobiles. The recreational transport and the equipment category accounts for 25 to 30 billion U.S. dollars in consumer purchases.
Around one quarter of sporting goods equipment sales in the U.S. is handled by sporting goods stores like Dick’s Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela’s or The Sports Authority. In total, sporting goods stores sales in the U.S. exceeded 43 billion U.S. dollars in 2013.
The biggest sporting goods retailer in terms of revenue, however, is Walmart, with 9.3 billion U.S. dollars in revenue from sporting goods sales in 2013. About 14 percent of sporting goods equipment is sold through online channels / over the internet; the distribution channel with the highest growth in market share. Despite the growth in online sales, more than 105 million people shopped for sporting goods at a sporting goods store in 2013 according to Scarborough Research.
Scarborough also reports that in 2013, more than 90 million people in the U.S. bought athletic shoes. About 20 percent of the total footwear sales in the U.S., which amounted to an estimated total of 19 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, are attributable to sporting goods stores. Running and jogging shoes, for example, sold for an average amount of 67 U.S. dollars at the retail level. The leading companies in the footwear segment are Nike and Adidas with revenues of 14.54 and 9.46 billion U.S. dollars respectively in 2013.
Nike and Adidas are also the market leaders amongst sporting goods manufacturers with about 27.8 and 20 billion U.S. dollars in worldwide revenue respectively. Other major sporting goods manufacturers with at least 1.5 billion U.S. dollars in revenue are VF Corp., Puma, Asics, Jarden, New Balance, Quicksilver, Mizuno, Amer Sports and Columbia Sportswear.
Photo: istockphoto.com / picsfive, anthiacumming, andreypopov
|Consumer purchases of sporting goods in the U.S.||$63.64bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Nike||$27.8bn||Details →|
|Sporting goods store sales in the U.S.||$44.36bn||Details →|
|U.S. e-commerce sales of sporting goods||$7,844m||Details →|
|Athletic apparel wholesale sales in the U.S.||$32.78bn||Details →|
|Retail & Athletic Footwear Market||Values||Statistic|
|Walmart is leading sporting goods, footwear, apparel retailer in U.S. (revenue)||$9.3bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Nike’s footwear segment||$14.54bn||Details →|
|Average retail price of jogging/running shoes in U.S.||$66.85||Details →|
|Consumer Purchases & Prices of Selected Goods||Values||Statistic|
|Consumer purchases of sports footwear in the U.S.||$21.17bn||Details →|
|Consumer purchases of sports clothing in the U.S.||$14.1bn||Details →|
|Average price of motorized treadmills in the U.S.||$690.29||Details →|
- Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2013/2014Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2013/2014
Sportswear / Sporting goods companies ranked by worldwide revenue in 2013/2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2014Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2014
Consumer purchases of sporting goods in the U.S. from 2002 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2013Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2013
Manufacturers (wholesale) sales sports products industry* in the U.S. from 2008 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Revenue of the leading U.S. sporting goods, footwear and apparel retailers 2013Revenue of the leading U.S. sporting goods, footwear and apparel retailers 2013
- Stores of the leading sporting goods retailers in the U.S. 2013Stores of the leading sporting goods retailers in the U.S. 2013
- Revenues of the leading companies in the sporting goods retail sector in Germany 2012Revenues of the leading companies in the sporting goods retail sector in Germany 2012
- Forecast: sales sporting goods stores US 2008-2020Forecast: sales sporting goods stores US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value sporting and athletic goods manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value sporting and athletic goods manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue sports goods manufacture UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue sports goods manufacture UK 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue sporting equipment store retail Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue sporting equipment store retail Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: total revenue sporting and athletic goods manufacture Canada 2008-2020Forecast: total revenue sporting and athletic goods manufacture Canada 2008-2020