Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of smartphone users in the U.S. from 2010 to 2018 (in millions)
|Number of smartphone users in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This forecast shows the anticipated number of smartphone users in the U.S. from 2014 to 2018, based on figures from 2010 to 2013. The source estimates that there will be more than 196 million smartphone users in the U.S. by the year 2016.
Smartphone market information
Advances in telecommunication technology have been significant in recent years. These advances have meant that the population has a level of connectedness never seen before. The number of smartphone users in the US has been rising steadily for some years now and forecasts estimate that smartphone penetration in North America will also continue to rise steadily into the future. The United States is one of the leading countries in the world with respect to adoption of smartphone technology.
In America the most popular brands are Samsung and Apple, with respect to handset manufacturers, while the most popular smartphone operating systems / platforms with respect to market share are none other than Google Android and Apple’s own operating system, iOS. Other operating systems, such as Symbian, Blackberry OS, Bada and Windows have struggled to maintain a foothold in the market as iOS and Android clearly dominate the field.
The first official smartphones came onto the market in the early 1990s. Initially a smartphone was classified by its ability to offer features like e-mail capability, internet access, QUERTY keyboards, personal digital assistant functions and perhaps a built-in camera. As of today, smartphones have progressed even more and we typically classify smartphones as having a high definition touchscreen, various apps, navigation tools and high-speed internet on the go. More recently sales of smartphones have even exceeded that of traditional feature phones as smartphone usage has continued to rise.
- Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017
- Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017
- 2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone
- Smartphone penetration amongst mobile users worldwide 2012-2018Smartphone penetration amongst mobile users worldwide 2012-2018
- Number of smartphone users in Indonesia 2011-2017Number of smartphone users in Indonesia 2011-2017
- Smartphone OS: global market share 2011-2014, by quarterSmartphone OS: global market share 2011-2014, by quarter
- Global smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarter
- Market share of Apple iPhone new smartphone sales worldwide 2007-2014Market share of Apple iPhone new smartphone sales worldwide 2007-2014
- IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018
- Total market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segmentTotal market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segment