Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of smartphone users in the U.S. from 2010 to 2018 (in millions)
|Number of smartphone users in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This forecast shows the anticipated number of smartphone users in the U.S. from 2014 to 2018, based on figures from 2010 to 2013. The source estimates that there will be more than 196 million smartphone users in the U.S. by the year 2016.
Smartphone market information
Advances in telecommunication technology have been significant in recent years. These advances have meant that the population has a level of connectedness never seen before. The number of smartphone users in the US has been rising steadily for some years now and forecasts estimate that smartphone penetration in North America will also continue to rise steadily into the future. The United States is one of the leading countries in the world with respect to adoption of smartphone technology.
In America the most popular brands are Samsung and Apple, with respect to handset manufacturers, while the most popular smartphone operating systems / platforms with respect to market share are none other than Google Android and Apple’s own operating system, iOS. Other operating systems, such as Symbian, Blackberry OS, Bada and Windows have struggled to maintain a foothold in the market as iOS and Android clearly dominate the field.
The first official smartphones came onto the market in the early 1990s. Initially a smartphone was classified by its ability to offer features like e-mail capability, internet access, QUERTY keyboards, personal digital assistant functions and perhaps a built-in camera. As of today, smartphones have progressed even more and we typically classify smartphones as having a high definition touchscreen, various apps, navigation tools and high-speed internet on the go. More recently sales of smartphones have even exceeded that of traditional feature phones as smartphone usage has continued to rise.
- Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017
- Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017
- 2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone
- Number of smartphone users in Indonesia 2011-2017Number of smartphone users in Indonesia 2011-2017
- U.K. smartphone users' views on 4G as of March 2013U.K. smartphone users' views on 4G as of March 2013
- Market share held by PC operating systems in the U.S. 2012-2014, by monthMarket share held by PC operating systems in the U.S. 2012-2014, by month
- Global market share held by mobile internet browsers 2012-2014, by monthGlobal market share held by mobile internet browsers 2012-2014, by month
- Number of available apps in the Apple App Store as of September 2014Number of available apps in the Apple App Store as of September 2014
- IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014
- Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.
- Telecommunications providers: monthly revenue per subscriber in the U.S. in 2011Telecommunications providers: monthly revenue per subscriber in the U.S. in 2011