Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Monthly youth (16-24) unemployment rate in the United States from August 2013 to August 2014 (seasonally adjusted)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic displays the seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate among persons between 16 and 24 years in the United States on a monthly basis. Seasonal adjustment is a statistical method for removing the seasonal component of a time series that is used when analyzing non-seasonal trends. Youth unemployment stood at 13 percent in August 2014. The general unemployment rate by state can be found here, the annual national unemployment rate can be found here.
Youth unemployment in the United States
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics track unemployment of persons between the ages of 16 and 24 years each month. In analyzing the data, the Bureau of Labor Statistics performed a seasonal adjustment—removing seasonal influences from the time series, such that one month’s rate of unemployment could be analyzed in comparison with another month’s rate of unemployment.
During the period in question, youth unemployment ranged from a high of 16.8 percent in August 2012 and January 2013, to a low of 15.5 percent in September 2012. Youth unemployment rose from 16.1 percent in April 2013 to 16.3 percent in June 2013.
The national youth unemployment rate can be compared to the annual national unemployment rate in the United States. In 2012, annual US unemployment was at 8.10 percent, down from a ten-year high of 9.6 percent unemployment in 2010. Most recently, as of June 2013, the monthly US unemployment rate was 7.7 percent (compared to 16.3 percent for youths). Additionally, as of June 2013, Nevada had the highest state unemployment rate, at 9.6 percent unemployment, of all US states. Illinois ranked second with an unemployment rate of 9.2 percent.
- Youth unemployment rate in selected world regions 2013Youth unemployment rate in selected world regions 2013
- Global youth unemployment rate until 2018Global youth unemployment rate until 2018
- U.S. youth unemployment rate by state in 2012U.S. youth unemployment rate by state in 2012
- United Kingdom (UK): Youth unemployment rate (18-24 years old) 2000-2013United Kingdom (UK): Youth unemployment rate (18-24 years old) 2000-2013
- Youth unemployment rate in the EU and euro area March 2012Youth unemployment rate in the EU and euro area March 2012
- Annual average unemployment figures for Germany up to 2014Annual average unemployment figures for Germany up to 2014
- Annual average unemployment rate in Germany up to 2014Annual average unemployment rate in Germany up to 2014
- Recipients of Arbeitslosengeld II in Germany up to 2014Recipients of Arbeitslosengeld II in Germany up to 2014
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP worldwide 2009-2018B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP worldwide 2009-2018