Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of iPhone smartphone users in the United States from 2010 to 2014 (in millions)
|iPhone users in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic illustrates the number of iPhone smartphone users in the United States from 2010 to 2012, and also offers a forecast until 2014. In 2012, there were 44.3 million smartphone users in the United States that were using an Apple smartphone.
iPhone users in the U.S. - additional information
There will be a projected 164 million smartphone users in the United States in 2014 and Apple looks to hold on to its considerable market share with over 63 million of these users estimated to own an iPhone, just under 20 percent of the USA’s overall population. This places Apple’s iOS (operating system) second in the market behind only the Android Operating System, which is projected to have 76 million American users in 2014, almost 25 percent of the country’s entire population.
However, the iPhone remains the top-selling individual phone of any kind in the U.S., with sales of the brand reaching 500 million in March 2014 since the first generation iPhone was released in June 2007. Overall there are eight generations of iPhone model, each of which are accompanied by one of the eight major releases of iOS. The first iPhone was notably different from other smartphones at the time because the user interface is built around the device’s multi-touch screen including a virtual keyboard, rather than the need for a stylus, keypad, or separate keyboard.
Additional functions on the smartphone can be enabled by downloading application programs, or apps, from the phone’s application distribution platform, which in this case is the App Store. As of October 2013, the App Store offered more than one million apps developed by Apple or Third Parties and is thus ranked as the world’s second largest mobile software distribution network of its kind, with Android’s Google Play marketplace holding the number one spot. The Apple App Store looks to remain one of the biggest app platforms with Apple announcing in June 2014 that a total of 75 billion apps had been downloaded from its platform.
- Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017
- Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018
- Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017
- 2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone
- Forecast: percentage of U.S. population to own an iPhone 2010-2014Forecast: percentage of U.S. population to own an iPhone 2010-2014
- Smartphone OS: global market share 2011-2014, by quarterSmartphone OS: global market share 2011-2014, by quarter
- Global smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by Apple's iPad of global tablet shipments 2012-2014Global market share held by Apple's iPad of global tablet shipments 2012-2014
- IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018
- Total market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segmentTotal market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segment