Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Brazil: Total population from 2004 to 2014 (in million inhabitants)
|Inhabitants in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the total population of Brazil from 2004 to 2014. In 2012, the total population of Brazil was estimated at approximately 199.24 million inhabitants.
Population of Brazil
Despite being home to the largest number of Catholics in the world, Brazil has a surprisingly low (and decreasing) population growth rate. The majority of women in Brazil use some form of contraception, which is often government-subsidized or free, even though the Catholic Church retains its stance that the use of contraceptives is inherently wrong. Within the space of just one generation, families have gone from having more than six children to having just one or two, and the share of Catholics in the population is dwindling. The influence of novellas — the overwhelmingly popular soap operas often with strong women figures and fewer than three children — could also be helping shape the population’s view of what an ideal family is. The fertility rate in Brazil fell below the replacement rate in 2006 and is still decreasing.
The impending population imbalance in Brazil can be seen in the decreasing lower tier of the country’s age distribution. This follows a trend similar to the one faced by Japan and many European countries, which are now facing the problems of providing an aging population with fewer young working taxpayers. The trend is not quite as extreme in Brazil, giving it time to prepare for the fallout of decreasing family size. This preparation will be important to help the country maintain its emerging economic strength, which is watched with interest by many economists who have said that Brazil’s is one to watch — thus its position as one of the pillars of the “big four” BRIC countries.
- Total population of China 2009-2019Total population of China 2009-2019
- Total population of Russia 2014Total population of Russia 2014
- Total population of the United States 2014Total population of the United States 2014
- Total population in Japan 2014Total population in Japan 2014
- Total population of the EU member states in 2013 and 2050Total population of the EU member states in 2013 and 2050
- Gross domestic product (GDP) in Brazil 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) in Brazil 2014
- Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in Brazil 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in Brazil 2014
- Countries with the largest gross domestic product at purchasing power parity 2014Countries with the largest gross domestic product at purchasing power parity 2014
- Selected companies recently acquired by Alibaba Group China 2014, by value of stakeSelected companies recently acquired by Alibaba Group China 2014, by value of stake
- European Union (EU): Member States' share of budget contributions 2013European Union (EU): Member States' share of budget contributions 2013
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in Argentina 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in Argentina 2014