Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Earnings of the wealthiest authors worldwide from June 2013 to June 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
|Earnings in million U.S. dollars|
|J. K. Rowling||14|
|George R.R. Martin||12|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows a ranking of the highest paid authors worldwide. In the period from June 2013 to June 2014, Stephen King was the ninth-wealthiest author worldwide, with earnings amounting to 17 million U.S. dollars.
Authors and film adaptations – additional information
Forbes has documented the novelist Stephen King’s annual earnings from May 2010 to June 2014. From May 2011 to May 2012, King earned 39 million U.S. dollars, yet between June 2013 and June 2014, this figure had dropped to 17 million U.S. dollars. King began writing in the 1970s and published his novel, ‘Carrie’ in 1973 for an advance of 2,500 U.S. dollars. It is considered one of his most popular books and inspired two Hollywood film adaptations in 1976 and 2013.
Another author whose works have led to blockbuster films is of course J.K. Rowling, the author of the epic fantasy ‘Harry Potter’ series. Between May 2010 and April 2011, Rowling earned 5 million U.S. dollars. This figure would rise and then fall again to 14 million U.S. dollars between June 2013 and June 2014.
Rowling’s ‘Harry Potter’ series consists of seven books which were published between 1997 and 2007. The literary series, once adapted into film, generated eight films in total. The first film, entitled ‘Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone’ which was released in 2001, generated a box office revenue of 974.76 million U.S. dollars worldwide. The final film in the series ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2’ was released ten years later in 2011 and generated 1.34 billion U.S. dollars worldwide making it the highest earning film of the series.
- Global e-book revenue from 2009 to 2016, by regionGlobal e-book revenue from 2009 to 2016, by region
Global e-book revenue from 2009 to 2016*, by region (in million U.S. dollars)
- Global print and e-book revenue 2013-2018, by type+Global print and e-book revenue 2013-2018, by type
Global print and e-book revenue in 2013 and 2018, by type (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Adult books sales revenue in the U.S 2012-2013, by format+Adult books sales revenue in the U.S 2012-2013, by format
Adult books sales revenue in the United States in 2012 and 2013, by format (in million U.S. dollars)
- Revenue of bookstores in the U.S., 2008-2013+Revenue of bookstores in the U.S., 2008-2013
Revenue of bookstores (NAICS 45121) in the United States from 2008 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Books-A-Million revenue from 2006 to 2013Books-A-Million revenue from 2006 to 2013
Books-A-Million revenue in the fiscal years 2006 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Monthly retail sales of U.S. book stores 2012-2014Monthly retail sales of U.S. book stores 2012-2014
- Highest-paid musicians in 2014Highest-paid musicians in 2014
- Factors influencing book purchase decisions among U.S. teenagers 2014Factors influencing book purchase decisions among U.S. teenagers 2014
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Time spent with media in the U.S. 2013, by age and typeTime spent with media in the U.S. 2013, by age and type
- MMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by typeMMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by type