Greece: Employment from 2003 to 2013 (in millions)
|Employment in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows employment in Greece from 2003 to 2013. In 2011, Around 4.1 million people were employed in Greece.
Employment in Greece
Just like the rest of Greece’s economy, the job market has been adversely affected by the economic crisis of 2008; it has been struggling to recover ever since. The majority of the Greek population lives in urbanized areas, but lay-offs and job cuts affect the whole country; the unemployment rate in Greece has been increasing dramatically all over the country and has almost tripled since 2009.
Greece’s economy relies heavily on services; most of Greece’s gross domestic product is produced in that sector. The gross domestic / GDP growth rate in Greece, however, has not improved since 2009 – on the contrary, after falling to an all-time low in 2011, GDP is now even lower than in the year recession hit the country.
Some of the most important industries for Greece are the maritime and shipping industries, as well as tourism. The export of goods has been on the rise, while imports have been decreasing, causing the trade deficit to improve slowly but steadily. Still, Greece is not out of the red and probably won’t be for some time. National debt in relation to gross domestic product is growing, and Greece is still ranked second on a ranking of countries with the highest public debt worldwide. Austerity measures and rescue packages from the European Union are now put in place to ensure Greece’s recovery from the crisis.
- Youth unemployment figures in the EU and Euro area May 2014Youth unemployment figures in the EU and Euro area May 2014
- Employment in the United States 2013Employment in the United States 2013
- Number of employed persons in China 2012, by work unitNumber of employed persons in China 2012, by work unit
- Number of newly emloyed persons in urban China 2013Number of newly emloyed persons in urban China 2013
- Youth unemployment rate in EU countries May 2014Youth unemployment rate in EU countries May 2014
- Employment by economic sector in Argentina 2012Employment by economic sector in Argentina 2012
- Unemployment rate in Argentina 2014Unemployment rate in Argentina 2014
- Unemployment rate in China by 1st quarter 2011Unemployment rate in China by 1st quarter 2011
- Employment in China - Statista Dossier 2013Employment in China - Statista Dossier 2013
- Greece - Statista Dossier 2012Greece - Statista Dossier 2012
- Report on Employment in the United Kingdom Creative Media Industries 2012Report on Employment in the United Kingdom Creative Media Industries 2012
Report included in Corporate Account only
- Migrant workers in China - Statista Dossier 2013Migrant workers in China - Statista Dossier 2013
- Social insurance system in urban China - Statista Dossier 2013Social insurance system in urban China - Statista Dossier 2013
- Global economy - Statista Dossier 2013Global economy - Statista Dossier 2013
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in Argentina 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in Argentina 2014
- Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014
- Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014