Automotive Industry in China: Imports and Exports - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the Automobile Import and Export industry in China
Since 2009 the People’s Republic of China has been the world’s largest new car market and automobile producer. The Chinese automotive import and export industry accounted for one-quarter of global production capacity as of 2011. The share of passenger car and commercial vehicle exports as part of the production output in China accounted for 4.6 percent and a total of 850,000 vehicles were shipped from China to various places around the world. For the first time in 2011 the number of exported passenger cars exceeded the number of commercial vehicle exports. Chery, the largest Chinese vehicle exporter, sold over 160,000 vehicles abroad, which accounted for one fourth of the company’s total sales.
This vastly populous nation has also seen a growing demand for luxury cars in recent years and is attracting business from many foreign carmakers. In 2011, Germany exported around 230,000 vehicles to China at a value of over 15 billion U.S. dollars, making Germany the leading car exporter to China. Car manufacturers in Japan and the United States are also exporting in mass to China. The sales of BMW, the biggest exporter of brand cars to China, accounted for 11 percent of its total sales as of 2010.
The topics automobile sales in China and automobile manufacturing industry in China are presented in separate dossiers.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7 / henrik5000
|Automobile import market||Values||Statistic|
|Number of cars imported into China||1,171,000||Details →|
|Vehicle share of passenger cars imported to China||97.01%||Details →|
|Vehicle share of commercial vehicles imported to China||2.98%||Details →|
|Growth rate of car imports to China in 2013||7.3%||Details →|
- Number of vehicles exported from China 2009-2013Number of vehicles exported from China 2009-2013
Number of passenger cars and commercial vehicles exported out of China from 2009 to 2013
- Number of cars imported into China 2006-2013Number of cars imported into China 2006-2013
Number of cars imported into China from 2006 to 2013
- Number of imported passenger cars to China in 2011, by country of originNumber of imported passenger cars to China in 2011, by country of origin
Number of passenger cars imported to China in 2011, by country of origin
- Distribution of Chinese vehicle exports 2013, by country of destinationDistribution of Chinese vehicle exports 2013, by country of destination
Distribution of Chinese vehicle exports* in 2013, by country of destination
- Number of export cars sold by Chinese automobile manufacturers 2012Number of export cars sold by Chinese automobile manufacturers 2012
Leading 10 Chinese automobile manufacturers in 2012, by number of export cars
- U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012
- Automobile industry - current business climate 2013Automobile industry - current business climate 2013
- Trade revenue of cars in China by month July 2014Trade revenue of cars in China by month July 2014