U.S. Private Label Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the private label market in the U.S.
Private label brands are a line of products in a wide range of industries that provide a lower cost alternative to regional, national or international brands. In 2009, the market share of private label brands in the United States was 17 percent. In autumn of that year alone, a survey revealed that just over 106 million U.S. residents consumed store brand or private label food within the last thirty days.
The perception of private label brands used to be quite negative. In 2008, 20 percent of U.S. consumers felt PLB's were for people on tight budgets who couldn't afford the best; but due to the economic downturn in recent years, consumers have changed their mind-set on these products. 60 percent of U.S. consumers purchased private label brands during the economic downturn and have been made aware of the fact that, in terms of quality and value, these products are equally good or even better than the name brands they used to purchase. As a result, 94 percent of consumers in North America will continue to buy private label products when the economy improves.
Private label brands provide various advantages for retailers. They help control over-pricing of products and services, provide higher control on production, marketing distribution and profits, which in turn helps build value and recognition from their customers.
Photo: istockphoto.com / skynesher
|Private label market share is highest in Switzerland||53%||Details →|
|U.S. private label CPG expenditure on grocery||$294.3bn||Details →|
|U.S. consumers of any store brand or private label food||94.59m||Details →|
|Private Label Products||Values||Statistic|
|Sales of private label medications/remedies in the U.S.||$515.6m||Details →|
|Dollar sales of private label fresh bread in the U.S.||$2,209.82m||Details →|
|U.S. dollar sales of private label cookies||$1,043.3m||Details →|
- Global private label market: share of leading brands by selected country 2013Global private label market: share of leading brands by selected country 2013
Market share of private label brands worldwide in 2013, by selected country
- People living in households that consumed any store brand or private label food, 2012People living in households that consumed any store brand or private label food, 2012
Any store brand or private label food use: Number of people living in households that consumed any store brand or private label food within the last 30 days in the United States (USA) from autumn 2009 to autumn 2012 (in millions)
- Perception of private label brands among U.S. consumers 2008-2011Perception of private label brands among U.S. consumers 2008-2011
Perception of private label brands among U.S. consumers from 2008 to 2011
- Share of global consumers who will continue to buy private label brands 2010Share of global consumers who will continue to buy private label brands 2010
When the economy improves, will you continue to purchase private label products?
- Global impact of store service factors on grocery purchases Q1 2012Global impact of store service factors on grocery purchases Q1 2012
- Global impact of product availability factors on grocery purchases Q1 2012Global impact of product availability factors on grocery purchases Q1 2012
- Leading vendors of olive oil in the United States 2013Leading vendors of olive oil in the United States 2013