Holiday Season E-Commerce - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Holiday Season E-commerce
In the United States, Christmas shopping season traditionally begins on Black Friday, the day following Thanksgiving Day. In 2011, holiday season retail e-commerce spending in the United States amounted to 37.2 billion U.S. dollars with the most money being spent online on Cyber Monday. On average, U.S. online shoppers spent 124.82 U.S. dollars on Cyber Monday.
• Most popular days for online shopping during the holiday season, by conversion volume
• U.S. online spending on Cyber Monday
Store sites, search engines and online-only retailer sites are the most popular sources of information during the holiday shopping season. With the advent of mobile internet as well as seasonal online promotions, holiday retail shopping has been changing. As of 2012, almost a third of consumers were planning to engage in showrooming for their Christmas shopping – testing products in-store and then buying online.
• In which of the following ways do you think you'll approach your holiday shopping?
• Which of these device combinations will you use at the same time to do your holiday shopping?
Overall, U.S. consumers were satisfied with their cross-channel holiday shopping experience. E-commerce websites performed strongly, but smartphone and tablet shopping also exceeded expectations. Other important factors regarding consumer satisfaction with holiday shopping were personalization and privacy.
• Smartphone and tablet usage for online shopping in the U.S. in Q4 2011
• U.S. online buyers who plan to buy holiday gifts via mobile devices
In 2012, the holiday season shopping is poised to go mobile.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hanibaram; courtneyk
|Amazon's annual net revenue in North America||$44.52bn||Details →|
|eBay's annual net revenue in the U.S.||$7,712m||Details →|
|Share of respondents who use a tablet to compare prices before a store visit||74%||Details →|
|Retailer-branded app usage among U.S. holiday shoppers||34%||Details →|
- U.S. holiday season retail e-commerce sales figures 2005-2013U.S. holiday season retail e-commerce sales figures 2005-2013
Holiday season retail e-commerce sales figures in the United States from 2005 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Cyber Monday: U.S. online spending 2005-2013Cyber Monday: U.S. online spending 2005-2013
U.S. online spending on Cyber Monday from 2005 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Holiday shopping: peak shopping day traffic volume growth 2013Holiday shopping: peak shopping day traffic volume growth 2013
Year-on-year change in visits to retail websites on U.S. peak holiday shopping days in 2013
- Percentage of holiday gifts consumers plan to buy at Amazon in 2012Percentage of holiday gifts consumers plan to buy at Amazon in 2012
What percent of your holiday gift purchases will be spent at Amazon?
- Online information sources for holiday shopping in the U.S. in 2012Online information sources for holiday shopping in the U.S. in 2012
Which of the following online sources of information do you plan to use during your holiday shopping this year?
- Smartphone and tablet usage for holiday shopping research and purchase in 2013Smartphone and tablet usage for holiday shopping research and purchase in 2013
- Global online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by platformGlobal online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by platform
- Global online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by traffic sourceGlobal online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by traffic source