Holiday Season E-Commerce - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Holiday Season E-commerce
In the United States, Christmas shopping season traditionally begins on Black Friday, the day following Thanksgiving Day. In 2014, holiday season retail e-commerce spending in the United States amounted to 53.3 billion U.S. dollars with the most money being spent online on Cyber Monday. In 2014, Cyber Monday became the biggest U.S. online shopping day ever with more than 2 billion U.S. dollars in online spending.
Due to retailers’ shift to promoting online offers already during the Thanksgiving week, the holiday season has become increasingly digital. A July 2015 survey found that despite increasingly earlier sales promotions, the majority of online holiday shoppers were planning on starting their shopping in November of that year. Social media marketing and e-mail advertising is a big deal for retailers – 27 percent of survey respondents stated that messages about additional discounts or clearance sales would influence them to make a purchase at a local business for their holiday shopping needs. Social media is also an important place for consumers to get gift ideas, read reviews, to browse products and to coordinate gifts with friends and families.
Holiday shoppers have also increased their smartphone use – in 2014, 51 percent of smartphone holiday shoppers have used their device to get the best price and to save money. Other leading smartphone holiday shopping usage factors include saving time and quick research on the go, as well as acquiring mobile coupons and deals. Holiday shopping showrooming penetration has also grown over the years – in 2014, 45 percent of U.S. respondents in a holiday shopper survey stated that they were somewhat likely to look at an item in-store before purchasing it online. However, this also holds true for the reverse trend of webrooming as 48 percent of respondents also stated they were somewhat likely to look at an item online before purchasing it in-store. As a result, the retail experience has become a truly cross-channel one.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hanibaram; courtneyk
|Amazon's annual net revenue in North America||$55.47bn||Details →|
|eBay's annual net revenue in the U.S.||$8,495m||Details →|
|Share of respondents who use a tablet to compare prices before a store visit||56%||Details →|
|Retailer-branded app usage among U.S. holiday shoppers||34%||Details →|
- U.S. holiday season desktop retail e-commerce sales 2005-2015U.S. holiday season desktop retail e-commerce sales 2005-2015
Holiday season desktop retail e-commerce sales volume in the United States from 2005 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Cyber Monday: U.S. online spending 2005-2014+Cyber Monday: U.S. online spending 2005-2014
U.S. online spending on Cyber Monday from 2005 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Highest U.S. e-commerce spending days during the 2014 holiday seasonHighest U.S. e-commerce spending days during the 2014 holiday season
Highest U.S. e-commerce spending days during the 2014 holiday season (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. online holiday shopping consumer incentives 2013-2014+U.S. online holiday shopping consumer incentives 2013-2014
Which of the following would make you most likely to buy holiday gifts online?
- U.S. holiday shopping: visitor share of leading retail websites 2014U.S. holiday shopping: visitor share of leading retail websites 2014
Most visited retail websites in the United States in December 2014, by share of visits
- Preferred U.S. digital holiday shopping research channels 2015+Preferred U.S. digital holiday shopping research channels 2015
Preferred online holiday shopping research channels according to digital shoppers in the United States as of July 2015
- Percentage of holiday gifts consumers plan to buy at Amazon in 2012Percentage of holiday gifts consumers plan to buy at Amazon in 2012
What percent of your holiday gift purchases will be spent at Amazon?
- Holiday shopping: peak shopping day traffic volume growth 2013+Holiday shopping: peak shopping day traffic volume growth 2013
Year-on-year change in visits to retail websites on U.S. peak holiday shopping days in 2013
- Online information sources for holiday shopping in the U.S. in 2012+Online information sources for holiday shopping in the U.S. in 2012
Which of the following online sources of information do you plan to use during your holiday shopping this year?
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue printing - other UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue printing - other UK 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue printing - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue printing - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue tap and valve manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue tap and valve manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue mail order and internet retail UK 2008-2020