Online Video - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Online Video
Online video consumption is one of the most popular internet activities worldwide. According to recent industry data, online video penetration has is near universal in a number of leading online markets with South Korea leading at a 96 percent online video usage reach. In 2013, the number of digital video viewers in the United States amounted to 195.6 million. The most regularly watched categories of U.S. online video viewers were funny videos, movie trailers and music videos.
Current market data states that 25 percent of global internet users consume online video every day, with 24 percent of U.S. internet users doing so. Google Sites, which include YouTube, are ranked at the top of U.S. online video properties, currently attracting a steady minimum of 157 million unique viewers per month. Other popular U.S. video sites are Yahoo! Sites, VEVO and NDN, which stand out due to user engagement or number of streams. In March 2014, Google Sites was also found to be the most popular U.S. online video content property with an average monthly user engagement of with 294 minutes. With the increasing usage of mobile device such as smartphone and tables, the current worldwide mobile video traffic is also estimated to amount to 1.46 million TB per month.
Apart from popular video content platforms, several video-on-demand companies have made their name in the area of paid streaming content with Netflix and Hulu being the most prominent examples. When compared to each other, U.S. Netflix users preferred their mobile phone as an access channel whereas the Hulu users preferred the Wii. Netflix’s 2013 revenue amounted to 4.37 billion U.S. dollars. Netflix's percentage of peak period downstream traffic in the United States during the first half of 2014 was found to be 34.21 percent.
Digital video advertising has also been a growing trend in the United States and is projected to reach 12.27 billion U.S. dollars in 2018. Viral video marketing, as well as online video sharing are two important factors in the quickly expanding market. Overall, the percentage of U.S. video advertising as share of total online video consumption from July 2010 to March 2014 grew from 9.8 to 38.1 percent.
|Mobile Video & Video on Demand (VoD)||Values||Statistic|
|Mobile video revenue in the U.S.||$2,298m||Details →|
|Number of mobile video viewers in the U.S.||107.1m||Details →|
|Netflix's annual revenue||$5,504.66m||Details →|
|Advertising and Marketing||Values||Statistic|
|Online video advertising spending in the U.S.||$6.42bn||Details →|
|Number of subscribers to Red Bull's YouTube channel||4.38m||Details →|
- Mobile phone video viewers in the United States 2013-2019Mobile phone video viewers in the United States 2013-2019
Number of mobile phone video viewers in the United States from 2013 to 2019 (in millions)
- Leading U.S. video properties 2015, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2015, by unique viewers
Most popular online video properties in the United States as of August 2015, ranked by unique viewers (in millions)
- Consumer internet video traffic via fixed-line connections 2014-2019+Consumer internet video traffic via fixed-line connections 2014-2019
Global consumer internet video traffic via fixed-line connections from 2014 to 2019 (in petabytes per month)
- Digital video viewers in the United States 2012-2018+Digital video viewers in the United States 2012-2018
Number of digital video viewers in the United States from 2012 to 2018 (in millions)
- Share of internet users who watch online videos 2014, by countryShare of internet users who watch online videos 2014, by country
Percentage of internet users who watch online video content on any device in 2014, by country
- Online video: most popular smartphone video apps in the United States 2014Online video: most popular smartphone video apps in the United States 2014
Most popular smartphone video content apps in the United States in March 2014, sorted by reach
- Daily online video usage in selected countries 2014Daily online video usage in selected countries 2014
Percentage of internet users in selected countries who watch online video content every day as of June 2014
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver