Netflix - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Netflix
2014 was a monumental year for Netflix. This once modest DVD-by-mail service limited to the United States expanded its streaming video service worldwide. In 2013, Netflix’s annual revenue reached 4.37 billion U.S. dollars marking a huge rise from 150.8 thousand dollars in 2002. In 2014, however Netflix could no longer afford to rely on its DVD subscribers as numbers dropped to 6.26 million in the first quarter. This is a drop of more than half since the third quarter in 2011 when there were an estimated 13.93 million DVD subscribers.
Netflix has monopolized the market for subscription video on demand (SVoD) services in the United States. In the second quarter of 2014, Netflix had more than 36.24 million streaming subscribers in the United States alone. A survey of over 30,000 households in the United States determined that in the second quarter 2014, Netflix’s SVoD penetration rate was 30 percent. This share was more than twice that of its competitors Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus. September 2014 saw the beginning of a six week roll-out into Europe beginning with France, German, Belgium and Switzerland. By 2020, it is forecasted that Netflix’s penetration rate will be 30 percent or more in countries including Canada, Argentina, United Kingdom, Brazil, Germany and France.
Apart from geographical reach, the content available from Netflix has also been an important area for expansion. In the fourth quarter of 2013, the monthly cumulative time spent with Netflix video content totaled 12.11 billion minutes. From 2013, exclusivity moved to the forefront of Netflix’s agenda. An announcement was made in September 2014 that Netflix, in an unprecedented deal with IMAX and The Weinstein Company, would debut the sequel to the 2000 Oscar winning film ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ simultaneously on their platform and on the big screen.
Aside from original movies, Netflix has made the move into original TV series. The political drama ‘House of Cards’ starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright marked Netflix’s first foray into original programming in 2013. A year later in 2014 it was followed up by the female-prison based comedy ‘Orange Is the New Black’. The success of both shows can be measured by their recognition at the 2013 and 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards which recognizes excellence in the television industry. In 2014, Netflix original programming received 31 nominations and went on to win 13 awards in categories for acting, directing and casting, which cemented Netflix’s place in the television industry amongst the likes of HBO, NBC and Showtime.
|Key Data & Market Situation||Values||Statistic|
|Netflix’s annual revenue||$5,504.66m||Details →|
|Netflix’s net income||$266.8m||Details →|
|Number of U.S. subscribers to streaming services||33.42m||Details →|
|Number of subscribers in UK and Ireland||1m||Details →|
|U.S. customer satisfaction with Netflix index score||81||Details →|
|Netflix’s share of peak period downstream traffic in the U.S.||34.89 %||Details →|
|Netflix’s number of streams||382.08m||Details →|
|YouTube’s number of streams||16,193.07m||Details →|
- Netflix: advertising spending in the U.S. 2012-2013Netflix: advertising spending in the U.S. 2012-2013
Netflix advertising spending in the United States in 2012 and 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Most common SVOD combinations in the U.S. 2014Most common SVOD combinations in the U.S. 2014
Most common subscription video on demand (SVoD) combinations among multiple subscribers in the United States in 2nd quarter 2014
- Number of illegal downloads of Netflix's original series 2013-2014Number of illegal downloads of Netflix's original series 2013-2014
Number of illegal downloads of Netflix's original series from July 2013 to June 2014 (in 1,000s)
- Number of Netflix subscribers 2020, by countryNumber of Netflix subscribers 2020, by country
Number of Netflix subscribers worldwide in 2020, by country (in 1,000s)
- Netflix's streaming programming costs 2012-2017, by typeNetflix's streaming programming costs 2012-2017, by type
Netflix's streaming programming costs worldwide from 2012 to 2017, by type (in million U.S. dollars)
- Latin America: number of Netflix subscribers 2011-2014Latin America: number of Netflix subscribers 2011-2014
- Number of Netflix paying streaming subscribers 2014, by countryNumber of Netflix paying streaming subscribers 2014, by country
- Number of Netflix streaming subscribers in the U.S. 2011-2014Number of Netflix streaming subscribers in the U.S. 2011-2014
- Forecast: newspaper publishing industry revenue U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: newspaper publishing industry revenue U.S. 2008-2018
- Forecast: periodical publishing industry revenue U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: periodical publishing industry revenue U.S. 2008-2018
- Forecast: magnetic and optical recording media shipment value U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: magnetic and optical recording media shipment value U.S. 2008-2018
- Forecast: book store sales U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: book store sales U.S. 2008-2018
- Forecast: advertising, public relations, and related services revenue U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: advertising, public relations, and related services revenue U.S. 2008-2018