U.S. Physicians - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about U.S. physicians
In 2009, there were over 970,000 doctors of medicine all over the United States. This figure included more than 120,000 inactive and some 57,000 unclassified physicians. Thus, the U.S. has a less marked physician density compared to some other countries. Looking at individual states, Washington D.C., Massachusetts and Maryland have the highest number of physicians per civilian population. Among specialists, psychiatrists are the most prevalent physicians. Approximately one quarter of all active U.S. physicians were educated abroad.
Expenditure for physician and clinical services stood at some 500 billion U.S. dollars in 2009. Thus, such services accounted for one fifth of total U.S. healthcare spending. The largest proportion of costs for these services was paid by private health insurance firms, followed by Medicare payments.
Compensation for physicians is always a controversial issue, especially in times of economic crisis and growing health costs. Surgical specialists are the highest-earning physicians. With some 530,000 U.S. dollars, cardiac and thoracic surgery specialists have the highest annual median compensation, while orthopedic surgery specialists have the highest median starting compensation. The highest-paid physicians live in the north central part of the U.S., where the median compensation stood at 234,000 U.S. dollars in 2012.
In the U.S., a generalist physician receives more than 3,500 annual visits, while a specialist receives around 2,700 visits. According to a survey, the most frequently mentioned amount of time spent with each patient is within the range of 13 to 16 minutes. 70 percent of all general physicians provide more than 31 hours of direct patient care per week, and 40 percent have evening and weekend working hours. For specialists, these figures stand at 61 and 19 percent respectively. In general, the level of satisfaction of U.S. Americans with their physicians is very high.
Photo: istockphoto.com / daft_lion_studio
|Leading U.S. state based on the total number of active physicians||California||Details →|
|Top U.S. state by number of active physicians per 10,000 civilian population||District of Columbia||Details →|
|Number of U.S. medical malpractice payments||9,677||Details →|
|Value of medical malpractice payments in the U.S.||$3.26bn||Details →|
|Medical malpractice payments as a percentage of overall health care costs||0.11%||Details →|
|Physician and clinical services expenditure in the U.S.||$541.4bn||Details →|
|Percentage of U.S. adults who have a family physician or primary care doctor||78%||Details →|
- Total doctors of medicine in the U.S. 1949-2011Total doctors of medicine in the U.S. 1949-2011
Total number of doctors of medicine in the U.S. from 1949 to 2011*
- Physician and clinical services spending in the U.S. by payer 2010-2012Physician and clinical services spending in the U.S. by payer 2010-2012
Physician and clinical services spending in the United States from 2010 to 2012, by payer
- Annual visits at general and specialty physicians in the U.S. 1999-2010Annual visits at general and specialty physicians in the U.S. 1999-2010
Annual visits at general and specialty physicians in the U.S. in 1999-2000 and 2009-2010
- Active doctors of medicine in the U.S. by place of education 1985-2011Active doctors of medicine in the U.S. by place of education 1985-2011
- Countries with the highest physicians density worldwide 2013Countries with the highest physicians density worldwide 2013
- OECD countries - practicing physicians per 1,000 inhabitants 2011OECD countries - practicing physicians per 1,000 inhabitants 2011
- Forecast: shipment value in-vitro diagnostic substance manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value in-vitro diagnostic substance manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value electromedical apparatus manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value electromedical apparatus manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value biological product manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value biological product manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value pharmaceutical preparation manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value pharmaceutical preparation manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue diet and weight reducing centers US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue diet and weight reducing centers US 2008-2020