U.S. Hospitals - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about U.S. hospitals
Hospitals are one of the most important cornerstones of every modern health system. Despite this fact, the total number of hospitals in the United States has been constantly decreasing during the last decades. In 2012, most of U.S. hospitals were non-profit facilities, while the rest was divided in nearly equal parts into for-profit or state/local government hospitals. In the same year, all U.S. hospitals provided approximately 921 thousand beds.
The percentage of persons with a hospital stay has been slightly decreasing since 1997. As expected, older people aged 65 and over are the group with the highest percentage of hospitalizations in the United States. The average length of a stay in a community hospital also fell from 5.7 days in 1993 to 4.6 days in the last few years. In the meantime, the total number of hospital discharges increased from 34.3 million in 1993 to a record high of 39.9 million in 2009.
Hospital costs make up a large share of total health costs and have more than tripled since 1990. In 2011, almost one third of some 2.7 trillion U.S. dollars of total national health expenditures were attributed to hospital care costs. On the other hand, the economic impact of U.S. hospitals should not be underestimated. In 2010 for example, community hospitals contributed a total of almost 2.5 trillion U.S. dollars to the U.S. economy through direct and ripple effects. Over the last decade, employment in hospitals has increased steadily. Today, approximately 6.3 million people are employed at hospitals in the United States.
All in all, hospitals in the United States generate a total revenue of over 900 billion U.S. dollars. The Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio, is one of the top hospitals based on revenues. In 2013, this non-profit hospital reported a gross revenue of nearly 12 billion U.S. dollars, while the net patient revenue stood at 3.8 billion U.S. dollars. Other top grossing hospitals in the U.S. are, for example, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian and the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Among hospital operators, the Hospital Corporation of America from Nashville, Tennessee, is one of the largest. HCA operates around 160 hospitals generating a total revenue of nearly 34 billion U.S. dollars.
|Hospitals - Overview||Values||Statistic|
|Number of all hospitals in the U.S.||5,686||Details →|
|Number of all hospital beds in the U.S.||914,513||Details →|
|Occupancy rate of nonfederal hospitals in the U.S.||65.3%||Details →|
|Percentage of persons with one or more hospital stays||6.7%||Details →|
|Hospital care expenditure in the U.S.||$936.9bn||Details →|
|Total aggregate costs at U.S. community hospitals||$377.5bn||Details →|
|Average charge per stay at U.S. community hospitals||$35,400||Details →|
- U.S. hospital care expenditure 1960-2013+U.S. hospital care expenditure 1960-2013
Hospital care expenditure in the United States from 1960 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Number of all hospitals in the U.S. 1975-2013+Number of all hospitals in the U.S. 1975-2013
Number of all hospitals in the U.S. from 1975 to 2013
- Top 10 U.S. non-profit hospitals based on gross revenue 2013Top 10 U.S. non-profit hospitals based on gross revenue 2013
Top 10 U.S. non-profit hospitals based on gross revenue in 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Number of active physicians in the U.S. 2016 by specialty areaNumber of active physicians in the U.S. 2016 by specialty area
- Number of active physicians in Alabama 2016, by specialty areaNumber of active physicians in Alabama 2016, by specialty area
- Number of active physicians in Wyoming 2016, by specialty areaNumber of active physicians in Wyoming 2016, by specialty area
- Pharmacy and drug store sales in the U.S. 1992-2014Pharmacy and drug store sales in the U.S. 1992-2014
- Number of hospitals in the U.S. 2009-2014 by ownershipNumber of hospitals in the U.S. 2009-2014 by ownership