U.S. Singles - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Singles in the U.S.
Since the 1960s, there has been an increasing number of singles and unmarried persons in the United States, the trend has continued and spread year after year. A single person is commonly defined as someone who is unmarried and/or not in a relationship.
According to U.S. Census Bureau, the number of single-person households in the United States is increasing, while the average number of people per family has been declining since the 1960s. Additionally, the numbers of single mothers and single fathers in the United States have been subsequently increasing. While the majority of Americans are still enthusiastically falling in love, only around a third of American singles want to get married some day.
However, this development does not signal an increase in promiscuity or unfaithfulness – about half of American singles have never experienced infidelity in previous relationships and only about the same number claim to have ever had a one-night stand.
Photo: istockphoto.com / photomorphic
|Singles - Facts & Figures||Values||Statistic|
|North Dakota has the highest share of single-person households||30.5%||Details →|
|Number of families with a single mother in the U.S.||15,489k||Details →|
|Number of families with a single father in the U.S.||6,231k||Details →|
|Singles in Love||Values||Statistic|
|Share of Americans who are passionately in love||31%||Details →|
|Share of respondents who are actively seeking a relationship||12.7%||Details →|
|Share of Americans who want to get married||34.5%||Details →|
|Singles and Dating||Values||Statistic|
|Match.com is the leading dating website, based on visitors||35m||Details →|
|Share of Americans who are single now who have met a partner online||21%||Details →|
|Singles and Sex||Values||Statistic|
|Share of American singles who have sex on the first date||4.1%||Details →|
|Share of respondents who have had a one-night-stand||58.1%||Details →|
- United States - number of families with a single father 1990-2013United States - number of families with a single father 1990-2013
Number of families with a single father* in the U.S. from 1990 to 2013 (in 1,000)
- Number of families with a single mother in the U.S. 1990-2013Number of families with a single mother in the U.S. 1990-2013
Number of families with a single mother* in the U.S. from 1990 to 2013 (in 1,000)
- Share of Americans who are in love in 2009Share of Americans who are in love in 2009
Are you in love at this moment? (United States, 2009)
- Attitudes toward seeking a relationship in the U.S. in 2012Attitudes toward seeking a relationship in the U.S. in 2012
- Share of Americans who want to get married - as of 2012Share of Americans who want to get married - as of 2012
- U.S. online dating site and mobile dating app usage 2014, by ageU.S. online dating site and mobile dating app usage 2014, by age