Global Crowdfunding Volume Reaches $2.7 Billion in 2012
In the past few years, as financial markets went through tumultuous times, the internet brought forth a new way for individuals and companies to raise funds. Crowdfunding platforms such as Kickstarter allow creative minds to introduce their ideas to the public and to collect funds from many small contributors.
Crowdfunding passed a couple of significant milestones last year. In January 2012, the Elevation Dock, an iPhone dock made from solid aluminium, became the first Kickstarter project to raise more than $1 million. Four months later, Pebble, a watch that connects to smartphones through Bluetooth, became the first crowdfunded project to pass $10 million in funding. Both the Pebble and the Elevation Dock have started shipping by now, proving that crowdfunding has the potential to turn ideas into actual products.
In 2012, the total volume of funds raised through crowdfunding grew 81 percent to reach $2.7 billion. That’s according to data published by massolution, a research firm that specializes in crowd powered business. Massolution expects crowdfunding to accelerate even further this year. The company predicts the global total could reach $5.1 billion in 2013, which would be equivalent to a growth rate of 92 percent.
Thus far, crowdfunding is pretty much limited to North America and Europe. Both continents combined accounted for 96 percent of the global crowdfunding volume, with the remaining 4 percent raised in Asia and Oceania.
- College & UniversityThe Crippling Student Debt Cliché is Exaggerated
This chart shows households with education debts in the United States
- UKThe UK’s Extraordinary Imbalance in Transport Expenditure
This chart shows spending per head of the English population on transport infrastructure by region.
- FacebookFacebook-Oculus VR Is Tech’s Latest Billion-Dollar Deal
This chart shows the value of selected tech company acquisitions (in billion U.S. dollars).
- Global economyUber Becomes the World's Most Valuable Startup
This chart shows the world's most valuable startups as of June 2014.
- CrowdfundingThese Countries Account For 85% of Total Kickstarter Pledges
This chart illustrates which countries have contributed most to Kickstarter reaching $1 billion in pledges by early March 2014. Backers from the United States contributed $663 million since Kickstarter's inception in 1999.
- Overview of projects and dollars at crowdfunding platform Kickstarter up to February 2013
Kickstarter - projects and dollars at crowdfunding platform Kickstarter, 2013
- Unsuccessfully funded projects on crowdfunding platform Kickstarter up to February 2013
Kickstarter - unsuccessfully funded projects on crowdfunding platform Kickstarter, 2013
- Number of investors investing in multiple pitches on crowdfunding site Crowdcube, up to February 2013
Crowdfunding - number of investors investing in multiple Crowdcube pitches as of 2013
- Kickstarter: amount of funding pledged 2010-2013Kickstarter: amount of funding pledged 2010-2013
- Project launches on Kickstarter based on amount raised on first dayProject launches on Kickstarter based on amount raised on first day
- Kickstarter: number of total and repeat project backers 2014Kickstarter: number of total and repeat project backers 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter