Top 15% of Twitter Users Account for 85% of All Tweets
Researchers from the University of Illinois recently published a research paper on the geography of Twitter that contains some interesting data on general Twitter use. The data, provided by social media data vendor GNIP, reveals that Twitter usage is very concentrated, i.e. a small percentage of heavy users account for a large chunk of the Tweets that are sent.
During the sample period (October 23 – November 30, 2012), 85 percent of all Tweets were sent by the top 15 percent of Twitter users. The top five percent of users accounted for 48 percent of all Tweets, and the top one percent of all users accounted for 20 percent of all Tweets.
Given the nature of Twitter, these numbers don’t come as a total surprise. Apparently many people use Twitter as a news aggregator, a constant stream of information, but rarely actively contribute to the global conversation.
- FacebookFacebook Drives 20x As Much Traffic As Twitter Does
This chart shows the percentage of overall traffic to websites coming from Facebook or Twitter referrals. Next to social referrals, overall traffic includes direct traffic, paid and organic search traffic etc.
- 2014 FIFA World CupWorld Cup Final Sparks 32 Million Tweets
This chart shows the most tweeted-about matches of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
- TwitterThese TV Series Had the Biggest Reach on Twitter Last Season
This chart shows the TV series with the biggest average reach on Twitter in the past TV season. On average, more than 6 million Twitter users viewed at least one tweet related to Breaking Bad whenever a new episode aired in the past 6 months.
- TwitterAsia to Become Twitter's Most Important Market
This charts shows an estimated regional breakdown of Twitter's active user base from 2012 to 2018.
- TwitterDoes Twitter Have a Stickiness Problem?
This chart shows how many Twitter accounts that have been created between 2008 and 2013 were still active in February 2014.
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of June 2014 (in millions)
Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of June 2014
- Number of unique U.S. visitors to Twitter from April 2011 to January 2014 (in millions)
Number of unique U.S. visitors to Twitter as of January 2014
- Number of Twitter employees between January 2008 and November 2013
Twitter: number of employees 2008-2013
- Number of monthly active Twitter users as of 2nd quarter 2014Number of monthly active Twitter users as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Twitter: regional user distribution 2012-2018Twitter: regional user distribution 2012-2018
- Twitter: number of users in the United States 2012-2018Twitter: number of users in the United States 2012-2018
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter