Twitter - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Twitter
Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send short 140-character messages called tweets. According to recent social media industry figures, Twitter currently ranks as one of the leading social networks worldwide based on active users. As of the second quarter of 2014, Twitter had 271 million monthly active users. Registered users can read and post tweets as well as follow other users via update feed. As of September 2014, Katy Perry was the most-followed celebrity on Twitter with more than 56.89 million followers.
In 2013, the company’s revenue amounted to 644.89 million U.S. dollars with a net loss of 645.32 million U.S. dollars. The majority of company revenues are generated via advertising. The company went public in November 2013 and is ranked as one of the largest U.S. internet companies with a market capitalization of approximately 32.55 billion U.S. dollars as of September 2014.
Current statistics on Twitter users show that both North America and Asia Pacific each account for almost 30 percent of Twitter users, with experts projecting Asia Pacific’s share of Twitter users to grow to 40.1 percent by 2018. Despite the strong potential in the region, Twitter is banned in the area’s largest online market China. Local microblogging services such as Sina Weibo or WeChat provide alternatives to Twitter.
Recent studies place Twitter amongst the social media apps with the highest daily engagement rate amongst Android users in the United States as 21 percent of users accessed the mobile social app on a daily basis. As of November 2013, 80 percent of Twitter users in the United Kingdom accessed the social network via mobile. In the United States over 30 million users access Twitter via smartphone with projections for 56.5 million U.S. smartphone Twitter users in 2018.
Recent social media data also proves that Twitter usage is becoming increasingly prominent during events. Live-tweeting cultural happenings such as sporting events or television airings has become a popular way for consumers to engage online with others while sharing their thoughts on current experiences. According to U.S. Millennials’, live-tweeting events makes them more fun and 67 percent would also follow hash tags related to events. According to industry measurements, TV series such as AMC’s The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad are currently ranked amongst the most popular television series online, based on their Twitter online buzz per episode.
|Company Overview of Twitter||Values||Statistic|
|Twitter's worldwide revenue||$644.89m||Details →|
|Twitter's worldwide advertising revenue||$1,095m||Details →|
|Twitter's U.S. advertising revenue||$750.5m||Details →|
|Annual net income of Twitter||$-645.32m||Details →|
|Twitter's User Demographics||Values||Statistic|
|Number of unique U.S. visitors to Twitter||46.39m||Details →|
|Number of smartphone Twitter users in the U.S.||37.3m||Details →|
|Twitter penetration rate among social network users in the U.S.||27.9%||Details →|
|Vine.com's share of upstream Twitter traffic||3.57%||Details →|
|Starbucks's number of Twitter followers||4.05m||Details →|
|@katyperry's number of followers||53.9m||Details →|
|@barackobama's number of followers||43.38m||Details →|
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of September 2014Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of September 2014
Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of September 2014 (in millions)
- Number of monthly active international Twitter users as of 2nd quarter 2014Number of monthly active international Twitter users as of 2nd quarter 2014
Number of monthly active international Twitter users from 2nd quarter 2010 to 1st quarter 2014 (in millions)
- Number of monthly active U.S. Twitter users as of 2nd quarter 2014Number of monthly active U.S. Twitter users as of 2nd quarter 2014
Number of monthly active Twitter users in the United States from 1st quarter 2010 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
- World Cup 2014: most-tweeted football matchesWorld Cup 2014: most-tweeted football matches
Most-tweeted football matches during the FIFA World Cup 2014, ranked by number of tweets (in millions)
- Twitter: total number of data removal requests as of 1H 2014Twitter: total number of data removal requests as of 1H 2014
Number of data removal requests to Twitter from January 2012 to June 2014
- Monthly minutes spent on selected mobile social networks in the U.S. 2013Monthly minutes spent on selected mobile social networks in the U.S. 2013
- Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014
- Future use of social media among marketers worldwide by platform 2014Future use of social media among marketers worldwide by platform 2014